Does this look like a bad motor mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
I'd really appreciate it if someone can take a look at this short video clip of my engine and confirm my suspicion of a bad drivers side motor mount.
http://youtu.be/DY9HdZt1VyQ

I've been struggling with a vibration that is pronounced in reverse. I've tried a ton of stuff that was listed in my previous post (http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45765).

I finally was able to get someone to rev the engine both in drive and in reverse while holding the brake. The first 3 revs are in reverse at around 1.5RPM, there's little movement. The last few revs are in drive at around 1.5 RPM, and the engine looks like it wants to do a cartwheel.

I can't find any mounts locally (Autozone etc...) has anyone ever used DEA mounts? They have them at RockAuto.

Also is there a write up anywhere that might include pics? I can see the mount, and it looks pretty straight forward. I've changed mounts on a few cars before, much lighter cars, and I've always used two 2X4s on the oil pan. With this engine being heavier, is that still safe to do? I'm kinda leaning toward paying a shop to do it if it needs to be replaced to save myself the hassle.

Last edited:

NautiKev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES you have a bad drivers side mount! Aftermarket mounts should be fine unless you running some huge power, but it doesn't look like you are. I would NOT use 2X4's to get this job done. you either need a GOOD floor jack or an engine stand.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
Thanks for verifying that for me NautiKev! I was pretty sure, but wanted a second opinion before I took on a mount (I hate, hate, hate, doing mounts). It's a shame at only 58,000 miles to have one go out, and I drive very sensibly.

I do have a heavy duty 3.5 ton floor jack. I usually put the 2x4s on it to distribute the weight across the oil pan. So I take it by your response that's not a good idea. Where would be a better place to jack and support the engine?
Usually I never have anyone to help pry the engine if it doesn't line back up, that would suck with such a large engine.

I think I'm going to do some calling around to local shops to see how much it'll run me before I make a decision to make it a DIY job.

Thanks again!

NautiKev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a used car business here in atlanta and we run into many broken mtr mnts and I have seen several oil pans bend when trying to use the method your talking about. We have brace that goes across the top of the engine to hold it in place. I can't recall anything from memory of another place underneath to use(and my truck is at home) I can check tonight if someone else doesn't chime in.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
That'd be awesome!

I have a friend who runs a shop (7 hours away from me so he can't give me a hand unfortunately) but he looked up the job in their repair guide and sent me a few pics. The job says use an adjustable screw type jack on some tab that looks like it's under the intake manifold. I don't have a screw jack, and am still unclear 100% what a screw jack for an engine is, but he says he's always used a hoist.

I'm thinking this is a screw type jack?
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-underhoist-safety-stand-41860.html

I'm going to look into a support beam also. Maybe that in conjunction with my jack would be enough to hold the engine for a little while. Definitely don't wanna bend my oil pan (or worse) but I can't fathom paying $400 in labor for something that'd take about 30-40 minutes after getting the engine supported.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
This at 58K is pathetic.

Tell me about it. I crawled under and looked at it up close and it looks like a dog's chew toy! There are chunks of rubber hanging on for dear life. It's definitely unacceptable. I'm going to write GM, which I'm sure will be a huge waste of my time.

NautiKev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'd be awesome!

I have a friend who runs a shop (7 hours away from me so he can't give me a hand unfortunately) but he looked up the job in their repair guide and sent me a few pics. The job says use an adjustable screw type jack on some tab that looks like it's under the intake manifold. I don't have a screw jack, and am still unclear 100% what a screw jack for an engine is, but he says he's always used a hoist.

I'm thinking this is a screw type jack?
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-underhoist-safety-stand-41860.html

I'm going to look into a support beam also. Maybe that in conjunction with my jack would be enough to hold the engine for a little while. Definitely don't wanna bend my oil pan (or worse) but I can't fathom paying $400 in labor for something that'd take about 30-40 minutes after getting the engine supported.

Yes that's the screw type jack, we also have on of those. $400 :lol2: Who quoted you that??!! Maybe I would do this myself! oh and sorry forgot to look underneath the truck last night. will do my best to remember tonight but can't promise anything. My short term memory is terrible. :hands:

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
Yes that's the screw type jack, we also have on of those. $400 :lol2: Who quoted you that??!! Maybe I would do this myself! oh and sorry forgot to look underneath the truck last night. will do my best to remember tonight but can't promise anything. My short term memory is terrible. :hands:

Every place I called so far is quoting $335-400 labor. Dealers, big chains, and mom 'n pop shops. They all are coming up with 3-4 hours labor. I asked my friend if that was right, he says according to Alldata it's 3.6 because of the following:

You have to remove the alternator, power steering pump and pulley, alternator bracket, power steering bracket, and wheel well in order to support the engine with that screw jack! Then after the job, reassemble, then bleed the PS system.

IMHO that's complete BS! They'll hoist the engine and have me done in 30 minutes. But of course I get nothing but rude attitudes when I "suggest" that's a quicker and just as safe way of doing it. One guy actually called me a f**king idiot ass kid, then hung up on me. I wanted to call him back and tell him "you have 2 out of 3 right... I might be a f**king idiot, but I'm not a kid."

I'm going to keep calling around, if I can't find someone to do it for under $250 I'm gonna take the chance of bending my oil pan and or damaging the oil pickup just out of principle. I really wish I had a garage or driveway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBPA2024

Latest posts