Does anyone else drive around with their back right seat down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13yukonNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I never liked that my second row seats' headrests can't be removed. Before I sold my third row seats, I tried to switch the headrests between the two rows, since the third row headrests are very low profile. The second row passenger side seat's headrest completely fills up the rearmost window on the right side of the truck, so when I look over my shoulder I can't see anything out that window. My solution is to just have the seat down at all times, unless somebody actually needs to sit there. I got the idea from watching some hypermiling YouTube video with a GMT800 Tahoe and the guy had that seat lowered. Then yesterday I was browsing craigslist just for fun and I saw a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade (can't remember which) for sale with the back right seat down, and it made me think, does everybody do this?

Defender

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just joined today and saw your post. I do. I drive with all the back seats down, so I can see out the back windows. Makes my world so much easier.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never liked that my second row seats' headrests can't be removed.

What year did they start doing this? I took all of mine off. Can't see, can't reach over the seats, can't hang my hoodie on the seat back, etc so out they came...

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
far as im aware you can remove the headrest on all of them. some people dont notice the pinhole release instead of a button so i can see the cofusion

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
far as im aware you can remove the headrest on all of them. some people dont notice the pinhole release instead of a button so i can see the cofusion
They don't know the paper clip trick huh? ;)

OP
OP
13yukonNJ

13yukonNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

They don't know the paper clip trick huh? ;)

They cannot be removed on a 2013, that's for sure. I tried the paperclip pinhole trick, didn't work. I remember spending some time googling and it said the early years of this generation you could remove the headrests, but not on the later years.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They cannot be removed on a 2013, that's for sure. I tried the paperclip pinhole trick, didn't work. I remember spending some time googling and it said the early years of this generation you could remove the headrests, but not on the later years.
hmm, these guys did it on a 2013 no problem

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...s-adjustable-for-baby-seat.52902/#post-661957

and on the 2015+ the release button is under the seat material, so you have to push the material down first to access the button

OP
OP
13yukonNJ

13yukonNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hmm, these guys did it on a 2013 no problem

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...s-adjustable-for-baby-seat.52902/#post-661957

and on the 2015+ the release button is under the seat material, so you have to push the material down first to access the button

I wouldn't call that "no problem" considering they literally had to remove pieces and grind off part of the metal. It's clearly not designed to be removed on a 2013, which is why I just drive around with my back right seat down so when I need to look over my shoulder I can see out the window and not look at a headrest.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call that "no problem" considering they literally had to remove pieces and grind off part of the metal. It's clearly not designed to be removed on a 2013, which is why I just drive around with my back right seat down so when I need to look over my shoulder I can see out the window and not look at a headrest.
they only ground off the metal to keep the headrest up an inch, that had nothing to do with removing the headrest, you guys just wanted to remove it and this is how you can do it. I actually did something similar to my nbs headrest because I wanted it at a specific height and had to make a notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881