does 99 tahoe have chipped key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grahamspell2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
does 99 tahoe have chipped key i bought with after market key and now security light stays on and wont start thinking that may be the problem but dont know one dealer said needs chipped key called parts department to order key and they said id dosnt have chip in key

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99's do not have chips. Try this to reset the Passlock:
Turn the key to the run position. do not go to crank. leave the key on for 10 minutes and the system should reset.

slipping

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i misread your post the first time. I have the same issue as you with the security light always on and not being able to start the truck, it is one of the things i have not looked into yet. I have a wire running from the fuse box under the hood into the cab under the dash within reach which i hold to metal (ground) while turning the key then let go. Works for now until I get around to working with it.
inside
20121219_021413.jpg
outside
20121219_021546.jpg

OP
OP
G

grahamspell2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where exactly are u hooking it to in the fuse box

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

i misread your post the first time. I have the same issue as you with the security light always on and not being able to start the truck, it is one of the things i have not looked into yet. I have a wire running from the fuse box under the hood into the cab under the dash within reach which i hold to metal (ground) while turning the key then let go. Works for now until I get around to working with it.
inside
20121219_021413.jpg
outside
20121219_021546.jpg

where exactly in fuse box do u hook it

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

also is ur starting and dying very quick or is urs cranking but not but no fire it looks like u have wire connected to the starter relay but cant tell exactly where or how dont want to blow up my whole electric system

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it but when I went to get a remote start installed they said i needed a bypass because the key security. Meaning it uses a chip and with the key remote would not work.

PS I have a 2dr 99

slipping

Full Access Member
Reaction score

also is ur starting and dying very quick or is urs cranking but not but no fire it looks like u have wire connected to the starter relay but cant tell exactly where or how dont want to blow up my whole electric system

It is one single wire that runs from the aft most inbd relay into the cab to touch the metal portion of that bracket under the dash. That is the way it was run when i bought the truck. Ive played with it as far as dicconnecting and what not to see what it did and without using it the truck wont start. I can get some better pics in a few. You can use a bypass module that alarms uses, I have a link somewhere for the one I am going to get, but i think (not 100% sure) you will lose funtion of stock key fob.

As long as I hold the wire when turning the key (then letting go of wire once started) its like a normal truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia