Disconnecting front differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

largewon62

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the 3.73 rear gears and carrier in my 1997 Yukon 4WD with a Truetrac and 4.11 gears. I do not have the funds right now to replace both front and rear gears.

What is the best method to disconnect the front differential so it doesn't accidentally engage and explode my drivetrain?

OP
OP
L

largewon62

Reaction score
I guess what I am wondering is can I just pull the CV axles and not run into any issues or can I pull the front drive shaft?

eswarden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably pull axles and driveshaft, but that's just my guess. I'm sure someone else on here has done it before.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think You can get by by just disconnecting the driveshaft, I think the CVs will freely move, so you don't need to pull those, but I'd test it at low speed to make sure.

Tacky

Reaction score
Don't drive with the CV axles out, it can ruin your wheel bearings. Removing the front prop shaft should prevent damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia