Dirty TB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my truck into drive the RPM’s go up a hair for a split second just up one of the tiny lines on the tach then it drops down to where it should same thing if you put it in reverse, other then that the truck runs and drives great, does that sound like the TB could be dirty? The MAF was replaced with an AC Delco one less then a year ago, no check engine light either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forrest0125

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, vehicles dont want to stall so the computer is probably making that adjistment. Its seeing strain or a miniscule loss and its responding to correct it. All normal, kinda like when the ac kicks in, the vehicle idles up to maintain rpms since the compressor adds more friction/strain etc..

myoffroadz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I put my truck into drive the RPM’s go up a hair for a split second just up one of the tiny lines on the tach then it drops down to where it should same thing if you put it in reverse, other then that the truck runs and drives great, does that sound like the TB could be dirty? The MAF was replaced with an AC Delco one less then a year ago, no check engine light either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you just replaced the MAF it wouldn’t be a bad idea to clean the TB!!! When it if you do clean the TB use a good quality TB cleaner! I think Lucas or Seafoam makes one.

I have an 04 Z71 with the 5.3l and I just cleaned mine. It took my dad and I to do it (my dad is a retired ASE Master Tech)

Here are the steps we took for my truck!!! But your truck may or may not differ from mine!!!

This is only a guide

1. Take shroud off the top of TB
2. Have a 2nd person turn key to
“ON” position (DO NOT START)
3. Have 2nd person push gas pedal
to the floor
4. Person #1 then sprays TB with
cleaner!

***TB MUST STAY WIDE OPEN
WHILE SPRAYING CLEANER*****

5. Spray cleaner in TB until liquid
starts coming out clear or slightly