Dimmer switch turns off low beams instead of highs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmr7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 94 yukon sle that I just put new head light lenses and replaced the bad dimmer switch. I noticed that when I try to turn my brights off my low beams shot off instead. I've looked if I could have switch the cables but they have different plug ins. I'm just wondering if it's a problem with my wiring or if anyone has delt with something similar

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 94 yukon sle that I just put new head light lenses and replaced the bad dimmer switch. I noticed that when I try to turn my brights off my low beams shot off instead. I've looked if I could have switch the cables but they have different plug ins. I'm just wondering if it's a problem with my wiring or if anyone has delt with something similar
Just to confirm, your low beams are your outer most lamps, and your high beams when selected, turn off your outer lamps, and turn on your inboard lamps when functioning properly. Is it possible you have your lamps installed at your new headlight lenses in the opposite position?

OP
OP
J

jmr7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just to confirm, your low beams are your outer most lamps, and your high beams when selected, turn off your outer lamps, and turn on your inboard lamps when functioning properly. Is it possible you have your lamps installed at your new headlight lenses in the opposite position?
The highs stay on when I hit the switch and my lows(outer most bulb) turn off and the light on my dash for my highs stay on.No the way that these lenses are they won't sit right the opposite side of the car, if your asking if the bulbs are reversed the highs won't fit into the hole for the lows and vise versa

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is strange. If this just started happening when you replaced the headlight/dimmer switch I would start there. I have also had problems with the multifunction/turn signal switch before. Lots of gremlins when that switch starts to go. Hopefully some of the other forum members can chime in with more trouble shooting and wiring diagrams. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jmr7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is strange. If this just started happening when you replaced the headlight/dimmer switch I would start there. I have also had problems with the multifunction/turn signal switch before. Lots of gremlins when that switch starts to go. Hopefully some of the other forum members can chime in with more trouble shooting and wiring diagrams. Good luck!
Yeah it must have been happening before that but I'm not sure since my switch wasn't working till I replaced it that's when I noticed it both headlights were on before that and the switch was out so it wouldn't turn either off

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some people modify their trucks with a relay, that when you select high beams, the low beams stay on, for a brighter field of light. I wonder if you might have a funky wiring issue.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The highs stay on when I hit the switch and my lows(outer most bulb) turn off and the light on my dash for my highs stay on.No the way that these lenses are they won't sit right the opposite side of the car, if your asking if the bulbs are reversed the highs won't fit into the hole for the lows and vise versa
Have you tested the bulbs? Is Power at bulb socket? Agree with YukonGTMaster on Combination switch problems
Which Brand are the headlight assemblies? Have seen and heard of some with swapped hi/lo beam. Ebag Bulbs. Hi beam harness plugged into lo beam hole.Dash light is backwards then (Hi beam indicator)is only problem unless low bulbs both blow. Check your battery terminal ground wire at battery. A little loose or corroded could blow both .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo