dim/dead cluster and ambient light sensor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lil CacAzn Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cluster on my 07 tahoe went out a couple months ago. You can still see the gear select lights dimly and all of the gauges still work perfectly but none of the lights illuminate anymore or if they do it is very very dim. I have tried adjusting the knob on the left and figure it is just a dead cluster. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i should do. Easy install myself if i can get it cheap online? anywhere to get it? i have ddm 55w hids but there is no relay. maybe the problem? thanks. Also my ambient light sensor is missing on the dashboard. any idea on how to replace that? or have the dealer do it?

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can remove and install the new one yourself, I think all it has are 10mm bolts once you remove the trim pieces.

But, you either need the dealer or seller to program your current mileage to the new one. There are a few on eBay last I checked.

BTW how does an ambient light sensor just disappear? Hahaha, anyways that actually might be your dash problem, since it can't tell how bright/dark it is outside. It might be a dealer install, but you could probably find the part online.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the HIDs are messing up your electrical system, supposed to use a relay for even 35watt systems, talkless of 55w ones.
I would say get a relay asap, then take it to the dealer for the rest because those are uncommon issues to fix over online.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

And if the cluster light problem is still there when you manually turn on the headlights, then its def. not your light sensor causing it.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light sensor is in your rearview mirror isn't it? That little circle thing in the front is the alarm light... and if you need help installing a relay let me know

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The sensor in the mirror is to detect headlights behind you so the mirrors will dim.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh. I thought you meant the one on the front of the mirror.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roots6969