Difference in Michelin tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bob3700

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Across the river from the Arch in St. Louis
Our local Costco has the Michelin X LT A/S tires on sale. 275 / 55R20's $150 off a set.

What is the difference between the Defender LTX M/S and the above. I have looked at the Michelin site and it may be that the X LT A/S tires are the same as the Defenders, just marketed thru Costco. That was the salesman pitch anyway and Michelin doesn't really say.

Any experience out there on this issue?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ve always heard the same, Michelin makes specific lines for Costco. If the warranty is the same I’d consider them equivalent.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the reviews, if Cosco customers have/post them. Or, other Google reviews. If they are different, that should become apparent, in the customers reviews.

I really like my Defenders. I don't drive off-road, but on pavement, they take everything that a NH summer and winter and heavy foot can throw at them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our local Costco has the Michelin X LT A/S tires on sale. 275 / 55R20's $150 off a set.

What is the difference between the Defender LTX M/S and the above. I have looked at the Michelin site and it may be that the X LT A/S tires are the same as the Defenders, just marketed thru Costco. That was the salesman pitch anyway and Michelin doesn't really say.

Did you compare them at Tire Rack? I thought that they were different.

R422b

Reaction score
My understanding is they build to older cheaper standards for costco but they are still excellent Michelin quality just a generation behind. So basically you would be getting the same thing they may have been selling 10 years ago or something like that.
I love my defenders from discount tire. They are amazing and as long as I keep the front end in alignment they seem to wear longer than the rated 70,000 miles. I really like how quiet they run and how well they handle water. I use them because I feel like it keeps my family safer.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just yesterday bought the exact same tires [all 4] from Costco. Did a 4 wheel alignment immediately after. Went on the turnpike right after to test it at 75-80 MPH and it rides better then the plain old Michelin Defender. With that said I had no issues or complaints with the old Defenders. I got 70K miles out of the old Defenders.

I’ve always heard the same, Michelin makes specific lines for Costco. If the warranty is the same I’d consider them equivalent.

Costco gave a 70K miles warranty on the new XLT Michelin.

I just wish the workers in the Costco tire shop would just move a little quicker. I got there when they opened at 10AM. I was number 1 in line. Took them over 90 minutes. I also can not see why they can not open around 7-8AM. By afternoon the wait time is 4 hours or longer.

I go to Costco because I do not trust tire shops. None of them!

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered tires through tire buyer(better price than tirerack) and had the mobile service from tirerack install them at my house. Mounted, balanced installed in 45 min. I was able to watch the entire process. I am real picky about my car. I was going to get the Michelin tires but could not pass up the Pirelli scorpion with the sales, cash back and rebates around Black Friday. They ride sooo much better than the OEM Continental.
368ad020cb807fa7ac47d1c543579a2e.jpg
8329a4634cc46c0312193a4e608ad466.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooseman93

Reaction score

I finally wore out my Costco Michelins last fall (actually more of dry rot concerns from age than worn tread.) If memory serves, they were X LT2 A/S. They were great, 100% would buy again, but I'm no longer a Costco member so I got Defenders from Discount Tire. If there's a difference, I can't detect it. Either is an excellent tire for these trucks.

OP
OP
bob3700

bob3700

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Across the river from the Arch in St. Louis
Here is the reply from Michelin on the difference between the Defenders and the X LT2 A/S tires.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reaching out to Michelin. The Defender and the X LT are the same tire. X LT is the "Club" store tire of the the Defender. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts