Difference for 4/6 hi mod w/hids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2001 tahoe. I know that the mod can be done different/ easier ways on 99-02 vs 03-06. This may be a dumb question but i was wondering if having hids over halogen setup makes a difference in doing this. Just looking at grounding the yellow wire to the low beam. Also is there an easy way to do the 6 hi as well? That 4 hi ground method looks cake.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's done the same way, if that's what you mean. If you're installing HID's I suggest disabling the auto headlight function- I found it blew ballasts if the headlights automatically turned on while starting the engine, probably due to not enough voltage. I also did a 6 low/8 hi mod. DRL's are on all the time even with headlights on, fogs come on whenever headlights are turned on, and lows stay on when switching to high so when I drop back to low beam the HID's are still lit since they take a few seconds to come up to full brightness. These mods can all be found here. (full time DRL, auto fogs, auto headlight disable, 6 hi) If you combine all of them you have 6 low/8 hi and a helluva lot of light! Just make sure to use projectors for the HID's and if you like, color match all your bulbs with LED's!

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done the same way, if that's what you mean. If you're installing HID's I suggest disabling the auto headlight function- I found it blew ballasts if the headlights automatically turned on while starting the engine, probably due to not enough voltage. I also did a 6 low/8 hi mod. DRL's are on all the time even with headlights on, fogs come on whenever headlights are turned on, and lows stay on when switching to high so when I drop back to low beam the HID's are still lit since they take a few seconds to come up to full brightness. These mods can all be found here. (full time DRL, auto fogs, auto headlight disable, 6 hi) If you combine all of them you have 6 low/8 hi and a helluva lot of light! Just make sure to use projectors for the HID's and if you like, color match all your bulbs with LED's!

Good to know! probably knocking out the auto headlight disable today. So the fogs and drls would be done the same way/yellow ground method?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of my full time DRL mod. Just like the 6 hi, you need a diode and make sure it has the band at the correct end. It's like a check valve; the electricity can only go one direction. The DRL relay and headlight relay are removed so you can see which pins the wires connect to. With these mods, the fogs and DRL are on whenever the headlights are turned on and the DRL's function normally when the headlights are turned off. Like I said, I combined these two mods and grounded the yellow wire on the high beam for an 8 high/ 6 low. IMG_4782.JPG IMG_4784.JPG