6 hi mod issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foxtrot moon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe

HID's in low beams and in fog lights, no issues when in stock mode.

I did the super easy 4 hi mod where you ground out the yellow wire in order to have the low beams stay on with the high beams, no issues there.

The issue I'm tackling, is getting the fog lights to stay on when the high beams are activated. I've read and watched all the videos I can, but the diodes I'm using are burning out and getting extremely hot. I'm using the 1n4004 from a local Radioshack that still survives, and I want to verify that I'm using the correct pins. When standing on the driver side and looking at the truck, I'm using the Top Left of the headlamp relay and the Top Right of the fog lamp relay. Pins 85 and 87 I believe.

Has anyone else run into this issue or have any advice? I'm wondering if the 1 amp 50 v diode just simply wasn't strong enough. I even soldered 2 of them in parallel and while they're lasting a bit longer, the solder itself is bubbling out from underneath the heat shrink.

I'm at a loss.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have too much power running through there. Were the mods you reviewed using HIDs in the fogs? It really sounds like you need to wire up the fogs directly to the battery -- with a fuse -- and then use the original switch to switch ground. You can then use appropriate-sized wires from the battery to the fogs.

OP
OP
F

foxtrot moon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fog lights work fine. Have never had a problem with those.

The problem is when trying to get the fog lights to stay on when the high beams are activated, running a diode from the headlamp relay to the fog lamp relay, the diode is melting down. If I'm reading these instructions correctly, running a diode from one relay to another isn't actually powering the fog lights, just activating the relay TO power the fogs. Just trying to make sure I'm on the right track.

crx88ia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're right you can run a diode inline from the power on signal from one relay to another and it should be a tiny amount of current (in the ma range). Which pins on the two relays did you connect to?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the pins but do you have the diodes turned the right direction? They're like a one-way switch, letting current go one direction but not the other. You have to get the end with the stripe on the correct side.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my wires but you can't see the stripes. This is both the full time fog and full time DRL mods.

IMG_2402.JPG

crx88ia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a multimeter to check the current? Could be a faulty relay pulling to many amps.

Work looks good. I'll take a look in my fuse box tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401