Diagnosing P0300 code & Camshaft Retard Offset Adjustment Using Torque App

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Richamos1, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Richamos1

Richamos1 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    With 201k on my limited i think I will pull the distributor and see what that looks like.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. eswarden

eswarden TYF Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    I put in the formula exactly like the pictures show, but still cannot get a reading on the torque app

3. TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC Member

Name:
    Tim
    Hi All, I know this thread is a little over a year old, but I was curious enough to try this CMP retard calculation in my copy of TorquePro. I get a value for CMP, but it's -4.5 degrees nominal, and varies from about -4.4 to -4.7 during driving. While it's a number in the right order of magnitude, I was under the impression that 0 +/- 2 degrees was enough to trigger a P1345 code on my 99 Tahoe 5.7. I'm not getting any codes, so I question the accuracy of the reading. I checked and double-checked that I entered the equation and hex properly. It all looks right.
    Anyone else try this successfully?

4. largewon62

largewon62 Member

Name:
    Rob
    It could be the distributor gear being worn that causes that. The Vortec engines are known for eating distributor gears.

5. TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC Member

Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for the response!

I suspect that you're right, given my tahoe has a little over 150k on the counter. I think it's still the original distributor, so is probably somewhat worn. But still curious as to why a fault code isn't being thrown, giving me a CEL. With this much CMP retard offset, it seems like the vehicle would be complaining by now, right?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

6. Jerry Blueburban

Jerry Blueburban TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jerry
    New to this page. I am using a BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader / Scanner for Android Devices with Torque pro. I need to adjust my cam retard and set up a custom PID to match the one at the top of this page and I get no response back. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to get this to function properly. Thank you.

7. TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC Member

Name:
    Tim
    Jerry, I am also using Torque Pro, and with the screenshots in the Posts #1 and 2, it just started working after I added the new PID and the new 'Realtime Information' gauge that points at the new PID.
    Admittedly, the first time it wouldn't work for me, because I had messed up one of the hex codes in the screenshot, but after I found and fixed it, it started to work. I mis-typed the first number (221301) and got complete garbage until I fixed it. I'm using a WiFi OBDII adapter instead of bluetooth, but that shouldn't make any difference...as long as it's communicating with your truck. I'm guessing you've verified all the hex codes and formula in the screenshots? Are you getting good communication with your car using the app and the adapter? You'll know this when the adapter and 'car' icons in the top left-hand corner of the torque pro screen stop blinking, and when the big gauge in the main screen of the torque app starts displaying your vehicle's tach instead of something like 'Accel' (which is only monitoring the accelerometer in your phone or tablet until your car connects).

You've probably already tried all this, but hope it helps!