Dex-cool vs the green stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you decide to switch it over, it's going take a few times to do it, drain it out, fill with water, run it for a while getting up to normal temp, drain it out, fill with water again, drain again, I would do this at least 3 times running your front and rear heaters at full blast and I would run some cleaner chemical thru it at the same time it's only a few bucks and it gets any crud out. thats just my recommendation.....should you decide to switch it over.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As above, but,...

I'm a little skeptical about the cleaner. Maybe in a newer rig but, when I had my '99 Ram, they were known to break stuff loose and then plug the heater core.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been found that DexCool is actually pretty good, it's just sensitive to air. This is mostly up to the owner to prevent as they should be checking their fluid levels regularly and keeping them topped off. I'd say that the majority of drivers don't do this. I firmly believe that the reduction to DexCool issues and complaints has been due to the drastic changes in engine design. The Gen2 engines were not much different than the Gen1 design and had just as many points for potential coolant leaks. Also, the ancient design with the overflow bottle wasn't air tight, so the DexCool was still exposed to atmosphere. The LS engines are much better sealed with almost every gasket being an O-ring design and the intake manifold doesn't even having coolant passed through it, eliminating many of the common failure points. The Gen3+ also have a closed-loop cooling system where the overflow bottle (more accurately- "surge tank") is sealed from atmosphere. When everything is in good working order, there is virtually no reason for the DexCool to sludge up. Those that have issues with the DexCool either had or have a leak in the cooling system and it was ran low on coolant for too long.

dmad1

Reaction score
I think the last time I bought antifreeze it was around $2.50 a gallon. Was surprised at the prices now days, orange or green... Our 100k '12 LT radiator began leaking a couple of weeks ago but I think the tank was cracked and not from corrosion. It was an easy fix, just traded it for a '17.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed Dex-Cool for Peak Global Lifetime. Still an HOA coolant but without the acid. You can flush and re-fill without the fear of reaction between the two. I did have to look awhile and finally found the Peak at NAPA. Do a search--it was enlightening. Working fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645