Denali Leather is a joke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips on what I can do to prevent it from getting worse or full repair? I'm looking on gmpartsdirect.com and the replacement cover is $180. I'm wondering if it just makes sense to buy a new cover and have it replaced. I can't have someone sit in this seat till its fix cause I think it will continue to peel and get worse.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Over time it will get worse. Sun and heat is not the friend of leather. There isn't really much you could do to make it look better. What I would do is hit it with a heat gun and press it down with these graining pads that I use. I'd also use this putty to try and "glue" it down.
It's a hard call tho. If I was you, unless it really bothers you, I'd just leave it alone.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that is going to fix your seat but some info to make you feel better. And send an email to GMC maybe they will replace for free (one time). They did on my friend's lexus.
Must of the high end car believe or not don't use leather anymore. Manufacturers are using Leatherette or Nuluxe. (Environment friendly)
I have Nuluxe on my GX460. Is pretty durable and strong. Similar to vinyl. Like in the 70s and 80s. The car salesmen ain't going to come out and tell you right of the sale.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks- definitely looks like someone caught something on the seat. I have a 2011 Yukon Denali and am the orgibsk owner, family of 5 and no issues going in 6 years with it. This is with kids sports equipment slung all over it and abuse.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That sucks- definitely looks like someone caught something on the seat. I have a 2011 Yukon Denali and am the orgibsk owner, family of 5 and no issues going in 6 years with it. This is with kids sports equipment slung all over it and abuse.
Consider yourself lucky!

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! It's seen its share of high stress moments but held up.

I relocked@ photo. Almost looks like something under the leather causing it to bubble up some? Any household cleaners or acid been exposed to it?

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see what you are dealing with. I have an '08 Denali and seats are still in fabulous shape. I use Leather Milk No. 4 (auto version with UV protection) 2x/year and it makes a world of difference in the leather. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Milk...=1485182558&sr=8-1&keywords=leather+milk+auto

I realize this is NOT a remedy for the OP, but I've seen so many Tahoes and Yukons with dry, cracked leather and this could have been avoided just by conditioning it periodically, which by keeping it supple also helps it retain strength against punctures, tears, etc.

To the OP... I would call GM and express that it looks to be bubbling from the inside out at least in one of the spots. You may have a case for a defect. It would be worth a try. At the least, maybe they'd cut you a deal on a new cover. Good luck and please share what you've decided to do and the outcome.

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! It's seen its share of high stress moments but held up.

I relocked@ photo. Almost looks like something under the leather causing it to bubble up some? Any household cleaners or acid been exposed to it?

Nope, haven't touched them with chemicals yet. Only wiped down with a wet rag. And for giggles here's what my 15 year old 252k having Denali seat looks like.

IMG_1657.JPG

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After racking my head for a bit I'm almost positive I know how this was caused. Frickin car wash. They remove the giant weather mat and probably put it on the seat and those little spikes on the bottom probably got caught in the hole and tore it. Sucks and basically no recourse cause I'm not even sure where the last place I got the car washed was. Still not durable enough in my opinion. But those mats will only be removed by me from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts