Denali engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
So after chasing my tail trying to iron out my low oil pressure on my lq4(see my other thread), I've come to the conclusion that I should just replace the engine. At 165k there is no use pulling it just to replacing bearings and I can't really be without it long enough to rebuild it myself because we need it for the kids so I've decided to just order a reman engine with warranty. Now here is my question. Can I just drop in a lq9 reman instead without any issues? I know there is only a slight difference in HP but they are basically the same price at this point.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
What "issues" specifically? You're doing a motor swap. There will be issues. The more ability and knowledge you have about said swap the lesws issues there will be.

Are you bringing the PCM with the new LQ9?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
I guess my question is this..

Is it just a straight swap? The blocks are basically identical on the outside right? The intake, and all accessories will just bolt on. Will the computer need to be swapped? I have a BB tune a could probably just have Justin reprogram if needed. I guess I'm just asking..what would need to be done?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a straight forward swap. I just finished a lq4 swap in my NBS tahoe. As long as the new motor is from the same generation as your truck everything will transfer over. The only wire connections to the block are the crank and cam sensors, everything else is a ground wire. Your intake will bolt on to the new motor with all the respective connections for sensors and injectors from your harness.. I recommend using the metal intake gasket instead the plastic one that will eventually fail..
6b86376b553afccf3734d1187cbc0468.jpg
and sealing your knock sensors with some red RTV to avoid water contamination later as this will rust them out.

Check with BBP on updating your tune before you run the higher compression motor, they may need to update it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts