Dealership fumbled repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to drive my Suburban from DC to Baytown TX every year. Chevy service Dept was ok, but GMC service department across the street was top notch. Have not been back to TX since end of 2013
Ron Craft Chevrolet and Baytown Buick/GMC. Am I right? I can't speak from experience on Baytown GMC but a family friend had a bad experience at RCC. She took her Camaro in for service. A week or so went by and she didn't hear anything back. After a good Texas rainstorm that caused some local flooding, she decided to go see why her car wasn't ready. Went around to the service dept and there was her Camaro sitting there with the interior gutted, laid out to dry. Obviously her car was parked where the flood water got to it. They made no attempt to call her to notify that her car was flooded. They were going to put it back together and not say a word. I have purchased 2 vehicles from RCC but I will never set foot back into their dealership. She is still in process of her lawsuit.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
As a body man and someone who has several good mechanic friends who also work for GM dealerships - its all in the dealership and quality of personnel. There are people who genuinely care about the work that is being done to the vehicle and want to make it right, and those that want to rush to get it done so they can get paid. Our dealership has a mix of both, but I would say a majority of them will not let a vehicle go thats not 100% correct. Customers will bring vehicles back all the time for things that aren't related to the repairs which were done, but if its something that we missed or messed up, we will make it right. We go by the, we all make mistakes and we all can forget, but we will make it right.

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since when does a GMC dealer not work on a Chevy? Had warranty work done for years on my GMC at the local Chevy store. Never an issue.....

Also had work done at the Cadillac store....they have nicer loaners.
Me too. My Sierra at local Chevy dealer and as accommodating as can be.

chevync

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in 2006 I bought a pos new cobalt Ss. Took it in for it's first service, they gave me a rental for the day. That evening they called me and told me to keep the rental they didn't get to mine yet. I worked third shift and my work keys were in my car, so at 11pm I go by the dealer with my spare key to see if my car was outside so I can get my keys. I found my car with the driver window down, keys in the ignition. I got so pissed I left the rental car and left in my car. I received a call at 3pm the next day from the manager saying they couldn't locate my car. So I told him how I found it and I will never be back. He tried calling back a few times, emails and letters in the mailbox but I ignored them all.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately most people go into a dealership for whatever reason and have a negative attitude. So it sets the tone of the whole experience right from the beginning negatively. I've only needed to go into a dealership a handful of times in the last few years. But I go into with the thoughts of, "I need some kind of service, and they have jobs to do, so I will try and make this as easy as possible and be respectful." It's not easy but if i go into it positively and respectfully, I notice the experience as a whole is much better and the dealership people tend to be much more professional and respectful too. It's a 2 way street

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately most people go into a dealership for whatever reason and have a negative attitude. So it sets the tone of the whole experience right from the beginning negatively. I've only needed to go into a dealership a handful of times in the last few years. But I go into with the thoughts of, "I need some kind of service, and they have jobs to do, so I will try and make this as easy as possible and be respectful." It's not easy but if i go into it positively and respectfully, I notice the experience as a whole is much better and the dealership people tend to be much more professional and respectful too. It's a 2 way street
Concur. The dealership service department is like no other service. We ask for a service and the dealership provides it. Yes, we scrutinize the bill (and we should), but in my experience the dealerships will fix any errors -- just like your appliance repair person or your roofer, etc.

I believe that most service advisors and technicians want to do the right thing. In that regard,we are all human and people make mistakes, even people in professional service industries where I work, such as accounting, law, engineering, etc. When a mistake is made, we try to fix it. I can also tell you that I have had dealerships mess stuff up. In each case they made it right or at least offered to do so without any argument.

One thing I have found is that some dealership service departments are becoming gun shy because of customers who do stupid stuff. In this regard, I recently watched a customer demand that the dealership fix the whole side of a beat up car where the damage was a tiny dent by the rear bumper. The dealership had no issue fixing what it damaged. The fight was over pre-existing damage. In order to combat this, a local Chevy dealer takes pictures of the car with an iPad when they do the service ticket write up.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
One thing I have found is that some dealership service departments are becoming gun shy because of customers who do stupid stuff. In this regard, I recently watched a customer demand that the dealership fix the whole side of a beat up car where the damage was a tiny dent by the rear bumper. The dealership had no issue fixing what it damaged. The fight was over pre-existing damage. In order to combat this, a local Chevy dealer takes pictures of the car with an iPad when they do the service ticket write up.

We have this shit all the time when people have additional damage they think NEEDS to be fixed because they were in an accident. Then they will leave bad reviews and spread the word that we dont work with customers, all because someone is trying to get something for nothing. Time is money, people. Its why we ALL WORK.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Concur. The dealership service department is like no other service. We ask for a service and the dealership provides it. Yes, we scrutinize the bill (and we should), but in my experience the dealerships will fix any errors -- just like your appliance repair person or your roofer, etc.

I believe that most service advisors and technicians want to do the right thing. In that regard,we are all human and people make mistakes, even people in professional service industries where I work, such as accounting, law, engineering, etc. When a mistake is made, we try to fix it. I can also tell you that I have had dealerships mess stuff up. In each case they made it right or at least offered to do so without any argument.

People are unbelievable! I've seen this time and again, people wanting something for nothing.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup. People want a full detail done on their car and expect to only pay like 40 or 50 bucks and then I tell them no and it's the end of the world. Haha.