DDM Tuning Ballasts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my hids, only prob i have with them is sometimes they dont allways come on when i start the truck. ill have to switch to highs then back to lows for them to come on.. other than that they are sick. HUGE dif from my old projectors..

the day i installed them one of my fogs does the same thing, i havent called in yet to see about a replacement cause i have the ballast tucked in really tight and dont want to remove it.

I LOVE THEM, light is great and bright, but not as bright as i was thinking so might upgrade to 55w lows down the line but they are awesome and once you go HID youll never go back

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas having the issue where one hid don't fire. You need relays (cant stress this enough) with heavy gauge wire to allow the current needed to start up, as well as a good ground, thick wire and scrape off the paint on the location you are grounding. When you have the 6 hi mod where both the fogs and lows kick on together you have alot of current draw coming from 4 ballasts. HIDS are like lighters you need a good strike to get the flame going, ballasts only strike once if it wasn't good it wont light up, now imagine your thumb trying to light 4 lighters together, there's a good chance you wont get all of them lit, you would need a bigger thumb. Bigger wire in this case. At least 14awg.

Last edited:

TailHook

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
You need relays (cant stress this enough) with heavy gauge wire...

Agreed...I originally used the stock wiring for the ballasts, but quickly went the relay route. Since it was my first experience with HID lights, made me nervous to use the stock wiring...would rather overkill with 30A relays than take a chance smoking the truck.

The day I planned on doing the relays, I saw a Tahoe with an engine bay fire on the way home...coincidence?

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The day I planned on doing the relays, I saw a Tahoe with an engine bay fire on the way home...coincidence?

No coincidence there.... He probably had 55w HIDS on his highs, lows and fogs using factory wiring on everything. At least he got smart and replaced his stock fuses with bigger ones right?

Last edited:

haehlSt0rm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had ddm 35w 8k slims in both my lows and fogs for about 2 years now but the only problem i have had is my right fog light will fail and not even fire. the first time i replaced my ballast and it worked fine again, but just recently the right fog light wont fire again, at all.

I have another ballast to put in there but is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again because its really annoying.

TailHook

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
I have another ballast to put in there but is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again because its really annoying.

Are you running the ballast power from the fog light wiring or via a relay? I used relays with a separate battery feed for each ballast and haven't had any issues so far.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, get a $15 wiring harness from DDM and it'll probably fix the issue. You may have to replace a ballast and/or bulb also it sounds like, if it's not firing at all, but once you get it all together with a relay it shouldn't have any issues.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had ddm 35w 8k slims in both my lows and fogs for about 2 years now but the only problem i have had is my right fog light will fail and not even fire. the first time i replaced my ballast and it worked fine again, but just recently the right fog light wont fire again, at all.

Same here, I turned around and ordered a relay for the fogs. Hope that fixes it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper