DDM Tuning again or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
I bought and installed these DDM tuning 55W 5000K HID's a year ago sans the harness because reading on here and studying the schematic, I really didn't need it.

After 3-4 months the left one started to flicker off and on. Now a year later they both flicker. I just put a new battery in hoping it was a weak battery. No fix. Any of you other Chevy owners (GMT800? have similar issues?

Maybe I need new bulbs and ballasts and a relay harness this time. Who would you recommend?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should always run a relay harness with hids. I would start with a relay harness, if that doesn't fix it then move on to bulbs and ballasts

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your headlight plugs that plug into the ballasts for corrosion and/or bad connections, I have been running HID's in my headlights and fogs without a harness for about 3 years now without any problems in our denali.

rc610

Reaction score
I run ddm bulbs and ebay ballasts. Going 4 years strong. Their ballasts are kinda unreliable. My friends all had issues with DdM ballasts and at least 3 had to order new sets. My ebay ballasts lasted longer ironically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tooslowtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have two kits from ddm they both have lasted for several years and are still in use today, although I have heard the newer kits my not b the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SLCHOE

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Check your headlight plugs that plug into the ballasts for corrosion and/or bad connections, I have been running HID's in my headlights and fogs without a harness for about 3 years now without any problems in our denali.

I pulled it into the shop today because it was getting really bad in the driver's side lamp. I pulled every single connection off and checked them for corrosion. It all looked okay to my eyes. I drove it afterwards and all was a lot better but once in a while it would still flicker (usually coming to a hard stop). I notice it's relative to movement more-so now. If im stopped or cruising smoothly, its good. jarring motions throw it into a fit.

Headlamp housing is tight. Ballast is securely mounted. I wonder if the bulb itself is separating from the base of the bulb.

I'll need to check that and get back to you all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON