Cutting Front Coil to Lower Ride Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Has anyone tried removing one coil (or a fraction of a coil) from a front spring to lower the ride height on a 2015?
If so, how much does removing 1 coil lower the vehicle?

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think with today's suspension setups (strut type front end) you would want to cut a coil.....you would sacrifice strut travel and stiffen up the coils making for a rougher ride and alignment issues.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
pm me i can help you out lowering it without cutting the spring. Been doing it on these for a while now

OP
OP

73Vetteman

Reaction score
pm me i can help you out lowering it without cutting the spring. Been doing it on these for a while now

I have the max trailer option with bigger diameter shocks so your normal modification of relocating the retaining groove on the shock won't work. EDIT: I WAS able to remove the collar and cut a new groove to lower the spring hanger. The bigger diameter shocks use a heavy collar for the spring perch to mount on.
I only want to lower the front about an inch.

Tony - I will give you a call to see if you have any ideas. EDIT: I called Tony and he gave me the measurement to modify my strut. It came out perfect. He suggested maybe cutting 1/2 coil to lower 1 inch but when I saw that the strut was modifiable I chose that method. GREAT guy and super helpful.

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the max trailer option with bigger diameter shocks so your normal modification of relocating the retaining groove on the shock won't work. The bigger diameter shocks use a heavy collar for the spring perch to mount on.
I only want to lower the front an inch and the back about 2.5" to 3" to level it.

I will give you a call to see if you have any ideas.
Cutting groves always sounded like a bad idea to me. Unsafe

McGaughys makes 2 different size perches. Get the larger ones made for the HD shocks.

I love mine.
@73Vetteman

OP
OP

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Pictures

Pictures of modified strut and Escalade spring that also had to be modified to fit over my heavy duty trailer option shocks.
Now my Tahoe rides great and at the height I like.

Top picture shows area I had to enlarge so the white plastic insulator would fit into the spring.

Bottom picture shows new (shiny) groove cut .625" lower on strut to lower vehicle 1". Also shown is snap ring that goes in the groove.

Attachments

• Modified Spring.jpg
    Modified Spring.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Modified Strut.jpg
    Modified Strut.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I thought you were saying no snap ring? I've done about 10 new 15s same way like my older models I've been doin.

OP
OP

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Tony's Mod works on Max Trailer Struts also

I thought you were saying no snap ring?

That's what I thought until I pulled it apart again to cut the coil and realized it does have the snap ring! The collar was just corroded to the point that I couldn't see the snap ring in it and the collar looked like it was welded or crimped on.
That's why I edited my original statement and showed a picture of your modification after doing it on my strut.

So to clarify - Your modification works on 2015 2" HD max trailer struts also.

Thanks again Tony for the help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA