Custom Chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not remove the OEM stainless steel piece and get that chrome plated and then put it back on?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not remove the OEM stainless steel piece and get that chrome plated and then put it back on?

I had the body shop take a really good look at it, and they can't be sure they can remove it without damaging it. No one can be sure what it's bonded with, but if it's consistent with other GM application, they believe it will be bonded with some sort of permaseal liquid adhesive. Problem is that it's impossible to tell without actually trying to remove it. And as it is not a separate GM numbered part from the assist step, if it gets messed up, it's new assist step time ... and you know how much that costs.

That's why I'm thinking overlay.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd bet that that oem piece is brushed for a reason. Isn't it angled back under the truck? If so, it's probably getting blasted with road debris constantly. Also, it's reflecting the road at that angle, which isn't going to give you the impression that it's chrome even if it were chrome (if you're reflecting the road, then you're never going to get the "shine" of an upward of vertical chrome piece).

So, I don't know that I'd bother with anything that you're thinking about here.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, the reflection is a small concern ... but my tahoe oval boards were chrome at that angle and it wasn't a noticeable issue. The advantage of a well thought through overlay in terms of adhesion, is that if it looks like ass it can always be discarded.

This little element is rather important for me insofar as my next wheel choice ... if the board trim is chrome then I will get full chrome rims, if it has to remain brushed steel then then I will get chrome rims with brushed spokes to match the two finishes on the side of the truck.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Line-x the strip so it is black and matches the step :shrug:

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Line-x the strip so it is black and matches the step :shrug:

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am serious. I know you love shiny things but at least the aluminum wouldn't be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ttowntoehead