Crappy Stock Brakes-need upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
thoughts on upgrading the master cylinder? i read in article it can help with the sloppy feeling...but haven't found any other write-ups.

thoughts?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like everyone has said:

Hawk pads
Powerslot rotors
SS lines
new fluid

A new masrer cylinder would not hurt...but not a stock unit. There are some write ups out there on putting a NBS master into the OBS trucks. The NBS has a larger bore allowing more pressure so I am told. SSBC sells what they call a firm feel master cylinder, it is not cheap. Again, I can not back any of this up about the new master cylinder.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Like everyone has said:

Hawk pads
Powerslot rotors
SS lines
new fluid

A new masrer cylinder would not hurt...but not a stock unit. There are some write ups out there on putting a NBS master into the OBS trucks. The NBS has a larger bore allowing more pressure so I am told. SSBC sells what they call a firm feel master cylinder, it is not cheap. Again, I can not back any of this up about the new master cylinder.

No, you are right about the NBS master cylinder, it needs is a fitting to make it work. And the cylinder SSBC sells....it's a NBS cylinder.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Which Hawk pads did you end up going with? I've read the writeups on there multiple versions, but I really didn't see a big difference (except for their $110 ones).

PowerSlot also makes slotted + drilled...ever heard positive/negative about adding the drilled versions? With my driving, i can't imagine i'll ever heat them up to the pt that having drilled would prove beneficial...but i'm always open to recommendations!

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
LTS

No need for drilled. I'd be scared of the possible cracking that might happen around the drilled holes also.

Rudder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe its my motor mounts but whenever I accelerate from a stop I feel a 'clicking' if that makes sense.... Would this be attributed to the brakes also or could it be the motor mounts.

Hey Sid,

I just got a 99 Tahoe and I have the same problem that you stated here....any ideas of what it is?

Cheers

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
LTS

No need for drilled. I'd be scared of the possible cracking that might happen around the drilled holes also.

Agreed - for my application i couldn't think of the potential benefit outweighing the con.

Thank you for all your help Haks, after i finish up my recent project (poly bushing on the sway bars) brakes will be the next item on the list!!

eZg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Sid,

I just got a 99 Tahoe and I have the same problem that you stated here....any ideas of what it is?

Cheers

I have the same issue. I also notice it under braking.....anyone got a clue?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jsimon