couple of questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a 99 tahoe to replace my 04. i found one that looks pretty nice and i'm going to test drive it in the next couple of days. it already has a flowmaster cat-back exhaust, but with the mods i had on my 04 just an exhaust won't cut it. i'm already planning to do a BB tune and CAIin the future, but i ran across a supercharger for the 5.7's and i'm wondering what's all involved? i have asked to see what's included, what brand it is, how many miles it was used, and if anything is wrong with it. the guy just said that he sold the truck but kept the supercharger. Is there anything else i should ask or anything i would need to be aware of? I've already decided on a 98 or 99 tahoe, yukon, denali, or escalade but it depends on what i can find within the price i'm willing to pay. I'm looking for any and all advice regarding superchargers because i've never had a vehicle with one nor have i ever looked into them for a vehicle before.

Thanks

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
Don't bother with a CAI kit if you are going FI.

What kind of sc kit is it?

The reason for asking is to determine if there is any support for it from the manufacturer. For example, Whipple & MagnaCharger have discontinued their kits for the L31 engines. However, ProCharger & Vortech are still in production for our engines. This means you can contact the manufacturer prior to buying the kit & ask questions.

You pretty much began asking the right questions already.

Let us know what you find out so we can help you from there.

OP
OP
D

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
First, Nothing is wrong with the 04, but i am looking to buy a house and i have to decide between the vehicle payment and the house payment. guess which one loss... Second the supercharger is SOLD! Damn Well, for now it's back to square one. What were you saying about not getting a CAI if i'm going FI?

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
Ahh man, I am sorry to hear that it sold.

With FI you will replace the bonnet on the throttle body in one form or another. This basically means your CAI kit will be useless. Perhaps you could reuse the filter element but not very likely as most kits will come equipped with one.

Wouldn't your '04 almost be paid off already? You may as well keep it if the term is almost up.

OP
OP
D

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
i bought the 04 in feb 2008, so no it wasn't close to being paid for or i would have kept it. I've got a few irons in the fire as far as replacements go though. i'm pretty sure that i still want to supercharge it too, but it's not going to happen as soon as i get it though. my '04 should be gone tomorrow though :(

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
what you selling your 04 for?? i have a whipple supercharger for a tbi motor if you find a truck you want to buy, always willing to sell..

OP
OP
D

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
i got $17,500 for my '04 and it was picked up today. i have my eye on a couple of different ones(99 lt and a 2000 z71) Still working on the price of the second one. the 99lt has an exhaust and 94xxx miles and the dealer wants 7000 for it. one of my cousins decided he wants to get rid of his 2000 z71 but he hasn't figured what he has into it yet. it was hit in the front end and repaired. new innner fender, outer fender and cowl hood. pewter and it has about 130000 on it. fairly new tires, brakes, cap, distributor, plugs, wires, newer battery, dual exhaust, and all it is supposed to need is ball joints. From what i've been told if you're doing those you might as well do the pitman arm and idler arm too. What do you guys think it's worth. It is not a salvage title fyi...

What were you hoping to get for the s/c?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
id take the z71 over the plain jane 99. but thats me..
idk yet, im open to offers. i have it for sale locally right now, i dont think right now is the time to have this, its sitting in a box all wrapped up with everything ready to be sent out or put on in a yr or 2 when im ready for it.. not sure yet :/ but if you find a tbi, here ya goo.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
I would go with the 00' z71 too. My cuz had one and it was awesome. Not to mention all of the extras the z71 comes with standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts