Coolant leak...what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I am losing roughly a gallon of coolant per week. Some days are worse than others. It's $15/gallon, so the bills are adding up. On the other hand, I don't have the money to do the full-blown shop/mechanic fix it and make it better thing.

It's not a fast leak, there isn't coolant in the oil, it's not burning it that I can see or smell in the exhaust, so I don't think I have a gasket issue. That said, I can't find it, either. It's slow enough that I can't seem to actually catch it coming out of anywhere in particular, and it's been wet enough to make it hard to just look for the wet spots.

So, any suggestions? Has anyone ever used one of those coolant leak fixes that you can buy in a can at O'Reilly's or whatever? Someone told me those can work but then you have flush your heater core, and I have no idea if that's true or not.

Help! I have like zero money at the moment. Need a cheap fix. Thanks!

Oleblack03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DO NOT use the Stop leak stuff, it can do the job but it can stop up passages and orifices that you don't want stopped up. I think your best bet is gonna be to find a pressure tester and put the pressure to it, then you can look around the whole system, including the heater core, for coolant leaks. Also how is the truck running? Coolant leaks can be hard to find....try that and let me know if you cant figure anything out!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Seems to be running fine. Is there any way for me to pressure test it without paying someone? I've never done that before so honestly don't even know what to do.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can almost guarantee its your water pump. most likely the two gaskets behind it. but after the water pump gets old, the seal is broken down and it start to leak at the weep hole near the bottom of the water pump. its not too hard to replace. the hardest part is just removing the clutch fan if you don't have efans. pumps themselves are around 100$ for the oem a/c delco ones on rockauto.com. its not a bad idea to replace your thermostat at the same time as well..

if you have time and some good wrenching abilities, you can try just replacing the two gaskets behind the water pump to see if that fixes the majority of the leak. just make sure to scrape away all the old gasket when you replace it with the new ones.

coolchuck

maybe Escalade bound?
Reaction score
i can almost guarantee its your water pump. most likely the two gaskets behind it. but after the water pump gets old, the seal is broken down and it start to leak at the weep hole near the bottom of the water pump. its not too hard to replace. the hardest part is just removing the clutch fan if you don't have efans. pumps themselves are around 100$ for the oem a/c delco ones on rockauto.com. its not a bad idea to replace your thermostat at the same time as well..

if you have time and some good wrenching abilities, you can try just replacing the two gaskets behind the water pump to see if that fixes the majority of the leak. just make sure to scrape away all the old gasket when you replace it with the new ones.

X2
I had the same issue. Changed the water pump, no more leak.

Oleblack03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd say the water pump is a likely cause, but to pressure test you just have to a) buy a pressure tester or b) rent one from an auto parts store that has the loaner tool program. I bought one when I worked at BMW so I'm not sure if the stores loan it or not. But all you have to do is attach the proper cap to the reservoir and pump up the system, you can check it two ways, the obvious way is look for the coolant pouring out from under the truck, and the second way is to listen for a spewing sound. Before you go tearing into it though I would make sure to diagnose it for sure first.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Where is the water pump located? I think the leak is slightly in front of and above the passenger side front wheel.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I don't think it's the reservoir itself, but could be a cracked hose near it. It is definitely forward of the reservoir, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar