Control arms denting shocks on lifted tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CO Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had my Tahoe a few days.

97 4 door 5.7 4x4 6inch pro comp lift 3 inch body. I noticed the messed up bushing on the top of the front ES 3000 shock when I checked the truck out before buying but didn't realize until washing the mud off that the shock is being dented by the control arm. Both sides.

I did a google search and found a few discussions with people asking about the same problem on lifted Tahoes. There were a few suggestions like get some monotube shocks that are skinny enough to not hit. Another suggestion mentioned was to mount the monotube shock upside down. I did not find anyone confirming a fix for this.

Has anyone here dealt with this and fixed it? What shocks do you guys without this problem use on the front of big tahoes?

I would love to hear all I have to do is get some bilstein 5100's.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the super lift shocks and have had no issues pertaining to this

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a picture of the top of your shock. Thinking you bushing is worn like sunlit stated already. Or it's not bolted in correctly. There should be some spacers installed with the shocks which will keep them in the correct position. Maybe someone skipped corners and never installed them?

OP
OP
CO Tahoe

CO Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, the shock bushings on top are really messed up and the shock moves back and forth over it. It usually stays pushed to the front. I was thinking the control arm hitting the shock was what messed up the bushings that bad. I didn't even think about the bushings getting worn out first allowing the shock to get close enough to get hit by the control arm.

I hope that's it, then all i need is new shocks.

Thanks for the help. I will update this thread with my progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudLightyear