Constant power at starter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LakeRat32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I had a starting issue with my 96 Tahoe. So I went down the line in the system and checked everything from the switch, key cylinder, and relay. My first sign of trouble was a popped ignition fuse, the big 40 amp in the motor fuse box. I got the wild hair to check for voltage when the keybwas being turned at the starter. It has a constant 12 volts, whether the key is turned or not. I'm thinking a bad starter somehow, as I checked the relay and it was not stuck either way. Has anyone else had this problem, or know if it is indeed the starter?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the wiring diagram for a 98, I'd guess that it's the same as or similar to a 96.

You're getting voltage to the ignition wire terminal on the solenoid at all times? The relay is supposed to supply voltage only when the transmission range switch is in park/neutral and the ignition turned. Unless it is stuck or you have a short somewhere?

9CE7A4D0-5356-4705-92C8-21166DE28665_zpsjbfdndwq.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevenDey92

Reaction score
Did you hear a pop when you turned the key over? Have you taken your starter out recently?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LakeRat32

LakeRat32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found the issue, my ground strap had been ripped off the back of the block somehow. Reterminaled it and I am back on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645