Color Matched My Grill Shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
killer20072001
Reaction score
Why thank you sir.

I think im gonna have to get a differant clear I dont like the one that is on there. Its the duplicolor perfect match, and it didnt go on looking very wet. The one can wasnt nearly enough. Those cans are a rip off. $6 for 2 1/2 coats.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Good Mod I like it too, I did Mine last year. Looks so much cleaner~

Devious02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did this with spray paint?? I thought I had to take it someone to get it done. Is the color exact as factory looks like it in pic.. Looks good. Do you have a write up.

mrtrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...what a risk taker!..lol
but it looks good from the pics u have shown.

OP
OP
killer20072001
Reaction score
You did this with spray paint?? I thought I had to take it someone to get it done. Is the color exact as factory looks like it in pic.. Looks good. Do you have a write up.

Yep. I used duplicolor exact match. The color is dead on I just need a better clear. Those were the only pics I took because I was pressed for time, but it wasnt to hard. I ruffed it up with some 320 grit wet or dry sand paper. Cleaned it real good with dish soap and a rag. Sprayed 3 coats of adhesion promoter. Then a light coat of self etching primer. Two more heavy coats of primer. Sanded with 600 grit. Washed cleaned again. Hit it with a tack cloth after it dryed. Shot 3 more coats of primer. Sanded again with 600 then finished with 1500 for a smooth surface. Cleaned again. Tack cloth again. Used two cans of the duplicolor exact match paint. Dont remember how many coats it was. Then finished it off with a can of clear. Im not to happy with how dull the clear turned out. Im gonna wait 48 hours then hit it with some polishing compound and wax see how it ends up then, but ill probably end up re spraying with some better clear.

006-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a 3/4 shot from a distance? I have a white Yukon and I have an newer style W/T grill that I can paint but I am on the fence about painting it white and having the chrome bumper.

Good work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n