Colder plugs for 6.2. Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still suffering from pre-ignition on my 6.2. I've had Justin in person it and now with the crappier winter has it is still prevalent. I would like to run colder plugs to help. All the NGK I see for my truck say they are rated the same heat of 5. I know this number varies by brand and wondering if anyone has any experience that they can share?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Still suffering from pre-ignition on my 6.2. I've had Justin in person it and now with the crappier winter has it is still prevalent. I would like to run colder plugs to help. All the NGK I see for my truck say they are rated the same heat of 5. I know this number varies by brand and wondering if anyone has any experience that they can share?

I assume your running 93 Oct or something similar.

How many miles on the truck?

Does it use any oil?

Do you have a catch can?

Sorry I can't help with the NGK plug question... I only run AC Delco in GM.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
does it do it constantly or only when lugging/pulling/hard accellerating? if your hearing pinging as your driving down the residential street at 25 mph plugs wont correct that. run the tank of fuel out of it and go get a couple bottles of octane boost and put them in with a tank of premium and change where you buy gas. unless your current plugs are degraded to a point of misfiring i just dont think a colder plug will prevent a pre ignition symptom. what plugs are currently installed? have you inspected them for cracked insulator,pitting? ie' signs of preignition.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preignition can be signs of carbon buildup. Time to do a sea foam upper engine clean, sucking in fluid directly into the intake. Google it.
Then run a tank of premium with either sea foam or Techron concentrate.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Preignition can be signs of carbon buildup. Time to do a sea foam upper engine clean, sucking in fluid directly into the intake. Google it.
Then run a tank of premium with either sea foam or Techron concentrate.

That is why I asked about the mileage/condition of the engine.

I use water through the PCV hose directly into the intake to clean the carbon. Seafoam works too... OR Kreen.

Reaction score
If it's flexfuel, run a tank or two of E85

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It get top end cleaned frequently. Truck has 105k on it. Pings when in in their gear pulling. I think my cats are pretty hurt and it has to do with heat. Justin heard it when in person tuning and tried to dial it out. Says it's mainly cause the gas was poor. Yes I run 93. I have tried several top tier stations over the years and have my choice places. I am running NGK I think iridium. Whatever was the best NGK plug is what's in there. New like 15k miles ago.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Not knocking you or saying it's your problem but I run AC Delco iridium plugs.

I believe NGK plugs are great for what they were designed for and I always ran them in my Japanese cars/trucks (Toyotas, Nissan, Honda) and my motorcycle (Honda).

Just my 2 bits... YMMV

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think NGK actually make the acdelco plugs.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I think NGK actually make the acdelco plugs.

Never heard that before... I guess I shouldn't be surprised... everything comes from overseas now days it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlausGB