Cluster Replaced...now truck's got gremlins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my cluster replaced in my 2005 Tahoe last week under warranty because the speedo gave up the ghost. Gotta say that the dealership was actually pretty good about doing the replacement, no charge out the door.
A week later, I go to start the truck and it won't turn over at all. I figured that the door wasn't shut all the way or something, so I threw it on a charger. Not even 10 minutes later, I check the volts on the battery with my voltmeter and it's reading just fine. Checked the cables to make sure they were tight at the battery, and they were very tight. Turn the key, starts right up. I let it run for about 30 minutes, shut it down.
Next day I am running out for lunch, and I hit a bump on the way. Cluster reset itself, and came back with a "Service Tire Monitor" or something to that effect. It wasn't reading 3 of the 4 TPMS units. Drive around the block, pull into my driveway. Shut the truck off, wait 30 seconds, started right up. Okay, off I go. 10 minutes after, the radio reset itself. Are ya kidding??
Yesterday, truck pulled the "I won't start" again. Turned the key a 2nd time, and the gauges cycled, but didn't turn over. Third turn of the key, started right up. Jumped in to run to the store, cluster displays "Service Stability", and the battery light is on. Get out of the store, start it up, cluster was fine for about 5 minutes, then reset again, bringing the TPMS error up again.

None of this stuff happened before they replaced the cluster. I guess my question is would replacing the cluster cause all these issues? I thought I read something that a bad BCM would cause it as well, but I am looking for things I can check myself before I take it back to them to try and fix. I suppose I could try to re-seat the battery cables, and check the chassis ground, but there's part of me that just finds this all too coincidental that none of these problems existed before the cluster replacement.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you try to dis-conenct the battery for a few minutes, and reattach...resets computer.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay did that last night before a ride. I guess I didn't think of it before because I would have thought it'd be SOP for the stealership to have disconnected the battery before doing any work. The cluster seems to be fine after doing that....but now I've got only hot air blowing out the passenger side. Now, I know that the A/C problem shouldn't be related to the cluster...but dammit, this is just too coincidental that after the truck was in the dealership for the very first time since I owned it, all hell breaks loose.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not take it back to the dealership if its under warranty?
I am not a tech, but I have been told on some cars using CAN, the gauge cluster is part of the network, so my guess is it could affect other functions that seem random.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not under warranty, I should have been more specific there. The cluster was replaced under the Special Coverage / Class Action Suit thing for the stepper motors. This is why I'm asking if the cluster could be causing other issues. If they replaced the cluster, and that's causing issues, then I don't want to pay for repairs caused by it.

Although I did find a thread in here about replacing the actuator, so I might try that route if the dealership tried to charge me an insane amount.

Toejam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not under warranty, I should have been more specific there. The cluster was replaced under the Special Coverage / Class Action Suit thing for the stepper motors. This is why I'm asking if the cluster could be causing other issues. If they replaced the cluster, and that's causing issues, then I don't want to pay for repairs caused by it.

Although I did find a thread in here about replacing the actuator, so I might try that route if the dealership tried to charge me an insane amount.

Mike, you werent charged for what they did, so I can't see how the term "Stealership" applies.
If you had none of the problems prior to the cluster replacement, and now you have all these issues, then you can only conclude that the problems started WITH the cluster replacement. Could be a loose connector, bent or loose terminal pin or socket, blown or missing fuse, etc. And if this is the case, no way should you be charged to correct what happened at their hands. When a repair is performed as a result of a class-action lawsuit, it is considered a warranty repair and as such is guaranteed--although the time and mileage limits may vary.
The instrument cluster is a vital part of the CAN (Controller Area Network) system, and is the gateway for low, medium, and high-speed networks. This means gauges, heater, audio, airbag, powertrain and other control units receive from and send signals to the instrument cluster. So yes, a cluster issue can definitely affect every other system in the vehicle.
And this problem could easily be a defective cluster.Many of these clusters are remanufactured, and even though new to the vehicle, new doesnt necessarily mean good.
They did the work. Let them correct it.
I'm still trying to figure out why you would ask a forum these questions when the company that deals with these products day in and day out, and worked on your car wasnt contacted first.
I have a tech services administrator that gave me a great line: "Always look FIRST where the human was LAST."

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, I shouldn't be calling them a stealership in this instance, since no dollars have left my pocket. I'll put my past experience having work done at dealerships aside for the time being.

I did let them know that I am having these issues before posting here. The appointment was already set, and the truck is going in Tuesday. They were not told about the HVAC issue yet, as that happened after the appointment was made, and they were closed before I could let them know. I posted here only after that symptom came up to get some opinions. I'm one of those people that likes to have as much information as possible. That's why I'm asking how integral the cluster is to all this. If the majority of folks came back and said there's no way that the cluster replacement could cause an HVAC issue, then I would tell them about it, but wouldn't have high expectations for them to fix it under warranty. However, since it seems that it could be at fault here, I'll see what they do.
As for looking up the blend door issue, if the cluster isn't causing that problem, and the dealership doesn't fix it, I don't want to be charged more than I have to be.
I thank you guys for all your input.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could, do others a favor and let us know the outcome of the trip to the dealer. I always feel like I learn more from the outcome.
I know it sucks to have to drop the truck again, but with all the problems you are experiencing, I would be worried too.
I asked my buddy (a dealer tech) about this situation and he agrees with Toejam, that the cluster in many newer cars IS the center of the nearly all the vehicle's networking. So your HVAC problems could very well be part of this cluster.

I bet and hope they get you all fixed up and down the road.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I don't mind dropping the truck again. I know that not everything can be foreseen, or prevented. If this is simply a case of a bad part, I won't fault the dealership for that. (I think that line even came out of my mouth when I made the appointment.)

And Toejam, I'm sorry if my post came across or rubbed you the wrong way. I had an experience in the past where shoddy dealership service cost me a tranny rebuild on another vehicle in the past, so I'm very jaded when it comes to dealers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr