CLUNK...THUNK...POP...neat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skizzot

Reaction score
I was going to put this in a suspension thread, but don't know if it is the suspension...

I get a solid "thunk" from the front driver side wheel area and I've done everything imaginable to find it. I primarily notice it when reversing and cutting the wheel left and its usually at the end of my turn right as I hit the brakes. Speed is not a factor and it will occasionally do it when in forward making a U-turn. Whatever it is, it sounds solid.

TESTS SO FAR (performed when lifted and when level on ground):

Checked tie rod ball joint (twist, pry bar, and tire wiggle)
Checked tie rods for in/out movement
Checked lower control arm ball joint. (Tire wiggle and pry bar)
Checked upper control arm ball joint (Tire wiggle and pry bar)
Checked all bushings with pry bar pressure and there was no binding
Checked hub bearing (Tire wiggle and pry bar)
Banged the hell out of the tire with a hammer to recreate sound...nothing
Greased all fittings and boots are all good (Upper Control arms are new)
Checked for movement in the caliper
Checked the OEM Strut/coil (They're about to be replaced)
Checked axles for play
Checked sway bar and bushings (I broke the head off one of the bushing retainer bolts and I hope it doesn't try to eject itself before I can address that.)

I can't get anything to make this sound and it happens all the time under the specific conditions I mentioned. It really sounds like a ball joint popping but I can't find it. I don't feel it in the steering wheel when it happens but I'm 99.9% it's a steering/suspension component. Is there something I'm missing? I do need to check the motor mounts but figured I would be getting drive vibrations if that were the case.

I'm about to been doing suspension stuff (Rancho Level) and would really like to know what part I need to order so that I can get it all done at once.

Also, the truck is all over the place when hit by wind gusts. It's like the tire float on my 2500 with a 7" lift.

:wtf:

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Now that I think about it, could be a brake pad binding and just popping loose or popped into a different spot on the caliper. But it seems too solid of a sound to be that. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this.

OP
OP
Skizzot

Skizzot

Reaction score
I recorded and watched the mount/engine as it was braked torqued. (Never let a girl do this while your standing in front of the vehicle. I had a near death experience tonight....she let off the accelerator AND brake at the same time when I told her to "let off") There was only an inch or so of movement and the things are supposed to flex. Unfortunately I really can't see it. No clunking with torque but may not eliminate steering flex.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didn't clunk on mine but when my passenger side motor mount was going I would get a similar sound you have. That's actually what alerted me to the motor mount. I ended up changing it twice.

OP
OP
Skizzot

Skizzot

Reaction score
I guess when I replace the suspension I'll go ahead and pull every steering/suspension/axle component off the truck and do those too. Thanks for the info. I guess I'm accustomed to experiencing bad motor mounts in a car which are usually pretty obvious and easy to replace.
I have a 2007 4WD, what mounts did you use? All I'm finding locally is Anchor 2909 (early) and Anchor 3211 (late). I'm assuming it would be the 3211, but I really want to use a pro grade version seeing as to how I tow in excess of 5k pounds and it causes more torque being applied to the mounts. I also don't want to do this again after seeing what's involved with the replacement.

Thanks

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use dealer. I tried the anchor mount it failed in 3 months

OP
OP
Skizzot

Skizzot

Reaction score
Pretty sure I've found the clunk sound.....BODY MOUNT INSULATORS! The front left one near the strut assembly is shot for sure. It also explains the clunk while turning and sounding as if it's in the wheel area but no feedback in the steering wheel. Looks like a fun project!

Attachments

• 080421TC09-906.jpg
    080421TC09-906.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 42

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these can squeak if not lubed. Check the shop manual for proper lube. Probably some kind of synthetic that wont wash out

Ojustracing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to put this in a suspension thread, but don't know if it is the suspension...

I get a solid "thunk" from the front driver side wheel area and I've done everything imaginable to find it. I primarily notice it when reversing and cutting the wheel left and its usually at the end of my turn right as I hit the brakes. Speed is not a factor and it will occasionally do it when in forward making a U-turn. Whatever it is, it sounds solid.

TESTS SO FAR (performed when lifted and when level on ground):

Checked tie rod ball joint (twist, pry bar, and tire wiggle)
Checked tie rods for in/out movement
Checked lower control arm ball joint. (Tire wiggle and pry bar)
Checked upper control arm ball joint (Tire wiggle and pry bar)
Checked all bushings with pry bar pressure and there was no binding
Checked hub bearing (Tire wiggle and pry bar)
Banged the hell out of the tire with a hammer to recreate sound...nothing
Greased all fittings and boots are all good (Upper Control arms are new)
Checked for movement in the caliper
Checked the OEM Strut/coil (They're about to be replaced)
Checked axles for play
Checked sway bar and bushings (I broke the head off one of the bushing retainer bolts and I hope it doesn't try to eject itself before I can address that.)

I can't get anything to make this sound and it happens all the time under the specific conditions I mentioned. It really sounds like a ball joint popping but I can't find it. I don't feel it in the steering wheel when it happens but I'm 99.9% it's a steering/suspension component. Is there something I'm missing? I do need to check the motor mounts but figured I would be getting drive vibrations if that were the case.

I'm about to been doing suspension stuff (Rancho Level) and would really like to know what part I need to order so that I can get it all done at once.

Also, the truck is all over the place when hit by wind gusts. It's like the tire float on my 2500 with a 7" lift.

:wtf:

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Now that I think about it, could be a brake pad binding and just popping loose or popped into a different spot on the caliper. But it seems too solid of a sound to be that. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this.

I know you found the bad body mount. I see how you tested the ball joints. Did you unload the Ball joints to test? basically you use a jack on the lower control arm of the side you are testing then check for play. This makes a big difference. Just throwing it out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatheho

Latest posts