Climate controls going haywire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dyland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the electronic dual climate control, and when I turn the knobs, the temperature doesn't steadily go up or down, it jumps all over the place. 70 to 68 to 74 etc. If i turn It slowly I can reach the desired temperature a bit easier but still a little jumping around. Do i need to replace the whole module?

Not related, but didn't think it was significant enough to create yet another thread. My easy exit seat works every time i pull the key out, and I set seat recall to "at key in" on the DIC. It recalls when I put the key in, but only if it has been sitting for less than 5 mins or so. Any more than that and it doesn't recall.

Any help on these issues is greatly appreciated.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have the electronic dual climate control, and when I turn the knobs, the temperature doesn't steadily go up or down, it jumps all over the place. 70 to 68 to 74 etc. If i turn It slowly I can reach the desired temperature a bit easier but still a little jumping around. Do i need to replace the whole module?

Not related, but didn't think it was significant enough to create yet another thread. My easy exit seat works every time i pull the key out, and I set seat recall to "at key in" on the DIC. It recalls when I put the key in, but only if it has been sitting for less than 5 mins or so. Any more than that and it doesn't recall.

You could try the reset procedure...

Turn the temps all the way down. Turn the Hvac system off. Disconnect the positive battery cable for 10+ mins. Ground the + cable to discharge any current. Reconnect + to battery. Start the truck and DON'T touch anything for a good 10+15 minutes.

tubesock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Did you have any luck finding a fix for this? I just discovered I have the same problem in my 03 z71 Tahoe. Drivers side control only, and its intermittent. It was nutty this morning, but this afternoon it was working fine. This morning I was able to spin it slowly to bring the temp up. It seems to be biased towards lowering the temp. When i spun it fast, it was like a random number generator.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about $61 for a used one on ebay. You may find even cheaper on there. https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-SILV...ash=item2cc84b1cd2:g:ZfIAAOSwFYxZ2-oo&vxp=mtr
You can also try Car-parts.com

The problem is the encoders (what the knobs are attached to) are worn. I could probably find a source for replacements for them but I am really lazy and have no need to take mine apart yet. If you can pop yours open and get me some pics of the rearside of the encoders I will see if I can find a new match for all to benefit from. They are very cheap at most of my parts suppliers, assuming I can find a cross. They are very easy to replace.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when these issues begin to happen you will have to replace the HVAC head unit to resolve these issues.
All you can do is thank the failing head unit for the previous 10-15 years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157