Chrome trim 3m tape removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cleanfreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post.

I recently added an aftermarket chrome trim piece to my 2015 Yukon. The problem is, the company shipped the wrong length and I was not aware until after I finished installing it. I started on the left side and worked it on down to the right side. It seems to be about 3/16" too long.
The company has been helpful and offered a refund or the option to ship another correct piece.

My question is:
How hard will this be to remove? Can the 3M residue be easily removed/cleaned?

If removal is too hard, any recommendations on cutting the trim to size while still attached to the vehicle?

Please see pic. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 30

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just installed it should be easy to remove with a hair dryer and there should be no residue since it is a new install. If there is residue you can use WD40 as it will not discolor the plastic. Good luck.

OP
OP
cleanfreak

cleanfreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you just installed it should be easy to remove with a hair dryer and there should be no residue since it is a new install. If there is residue you can use WD40 as it will not discolor the plastic. Good luck.

great idea!

Thanks for your reply.

jrodriguez_20807

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take a a blade from a utility knife and put it where you want to cut it and start pressing on it and it will cut. I had to do it to mine and you cant even tell

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

I can take a picture of mine if you want before you cut it.

OP
OP
cleanfreak

cleanfreak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just take a a blade from a utility knife and put it where you want to cut it and start pressing on it and it will cut. I had to do it to mine and you cant even tell

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

I can take a picture of mine if you want before you cut it.

Please do.

What did you use to trim to size?

jrodriguez_20807

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A blade from a utility knife just pressed it firmly on the chrome strip and move it up and down and it will start cutting it.

robertprd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gradually detach it. It shouldn't leave any residue since it hasn't been on a long time. But if it does, it'll be good to use a 3M adhesive remover (citrus based), just avoid the alcohol and acetone based adhesive removers coz that might ruin the finish.

jrodriguez_20807

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im trying to post pics but it wont let me for some reason. You can send me your email and will be glad to send them to you

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imnohero, As new as your vehicle is I would put it in the sun and use a hair dryer and it should start to release at one corner and just work your way down the length of the door. I have also heard of guys using fishing line behind the molding and use like a sawing motion but i would think the clean up would be more difficult as I think it would leave more tape residue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts