Check engine light on but can't be read.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to autozone and advance and both places checked it but the meter could not even power up. They said "nothing was coming through" An auto shop is charging 60 bucks to run it but cost would go towards the fix. Not sure if I want to pay 130 bucks for a gas cap replacement. Any experience on this folks? Thanks for taking time to read this. btw, connection was where brake release is.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check fuses,, Forgot which one it is. but one of them supplies the 12volts to the ALDL connection.

check cig lighter fuse....

OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones on the left side of the steering wheel? Also, how do you reset the light? Thanks for your quick response.

OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
under hood, sure enough Cig lighter was burned out. replaced it with extras from dash insert. Light still on, should I go now and get it checked?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

cool, just noticed you're faster that I. :) cool, on my way thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

code P0420 but no misfires or leaking oil. went to tire shop, had them check cat conv. no problems there, has to go to regular shop to replace oxygen sensors, my auto ride is giving me issues too. I appreciate all your help.

OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out, the Mech said that it's one the the cat conv. but he told me not to just take it to any shop because odds are the stock cat conv replacement will still cause the light to come on. He reset the light in the small chance that it may have been a glitch but if it indeed comes back on he can replace "bolt on" the whole thing with upgraded product which will fix it but he said it is fine the way it is until the light comes back on and at that point, it's up to me to get it fixed which will run $600 about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck