"Check Brakes Soon" warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joew311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had the "Check Brakes Soon" warning light pop up twice now. I've searched through and read several things on the internet about it but they all seemed to describe different situations than I have...

So the warning will pop up on the information center with no apparent symptoms or issues. Both times it happened when it was in the 40's and raining or high moisture in the air.

Is there something I can visually check (a fluid level, worn brakes, etc.) or is there something more extensive that I should do or (last resort) take it into the dealer to have the codes read?

Sorry, I should mention (before I get an ear full) this is on a 2013 Suburban LT with about 50,000 miles on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joew311

Joew311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mods, did I put this in the wrong category?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joew311,

I understand that you are seeking advice from the other forum members for your warning light concern. Please let me know if further assistance is needed with this matter. We’d be happy to look further into this for you and try to help find a possible resolution. If help is needed fell free to send me a private message with more information. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
Joew311

Joew311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I finally made it into the dealership to have them scan this issue I was having that was showing a "Service Brakes Soon" light on the information center.

I was told that the brake booster check valve/sensor was bad and I needed to replace it. I swapped it out last night in about 5 minutes (had to drive an hour away to get one because my dealer didn't have one and we leave on vacation today).

We will see if this fixes the light. I'm not sure how critical it as to change out before we leave but I don't want to be 900 miles from home with car trouble that could've been prevented.

The part changed out was P/N 20903152.

They are much cheaper online (about half) but I didn't have time to wait for shipping...

Just a side note, should this have been covered under warranty? I have just over 50,000 miles on it but I bought an extended warranty too. I'm guessing if it's covered by the extended warranty that the deductible would've been about 3x the cost of the part...i was just curious.

OP
OP
Joew311

Joew311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, replacing the check valve did not fix the issue. The warning came up 6 times in the past week over a trip of about 1800 miles.

OP
OP
Joew311

Joew311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just came across this video (
) so I went out to check the ground (keep a pretty good eye on the fluid) and found this:
3d519311d6a454f666242684841cf61c.jpg

So I cleaned it up to this, reattached, and painted over it:

ca8ef35e816072f191bdfea3be9b77b0.jpg

(Orange is not rust, just where I scuffed it up a little too far on the connector)

I'll keep you guys posted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364