Chasing Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, a crank-to-cam mis-sync commonly causes an intermittent misfire on #7 and/or #3 on the Gen3 engines. It may do similar on the Gen4 but maybe another cylinder/cylinders. Something is different on them because the crank sprocket for the timing set is clocked half a tooth differently between the generations.

I'd definitely try that even if it's not THE problem since it could be a minor, unseen problem. At least it could be ruled out for this and future issues.

You swapped packs, but did you test the signal going to the #2 coil to ensure that the PCM is firing it?

OP
OP
badandyturbo

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, a crank-to-cam mis-sync commonly causes an intermittent misfire on #7 and/or #3 on the Gen3 engines. It may do similar on the Gen4 but maybe another cylinder/cylinders. Something is different on them because the crank sprocket for the timing set is clocked half a tooth differently between the generations.

I'd definitely try that even if it's not THE problem since it could be a minor, unseen problem. At least it could be ruled out for this and future issues.

You swapped packs, but did you test the signal going to the #2 coil to ensure that the PCM is firing it?

No not yet. I am having difficulty verifying which wire to test. The harness has 4. Pink, purple and 2 blacks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not yet. I am having difficulty verifying which wire to test. The harness has 4. Pink, purple and 2 blacks.

My manual shows wire PK (Pink) as Ignition 1 Relay, BN (Brown) as Low Reference, and OG (Orange) as ECM Ignition Control and BK (Black) as Ground.

Coil 2 has Pink, Black, Brown and Orange (OG)
Coil 4 has Pink, Black, Brown and Dark Green (D-GN)
Coil 6 has Pink, Black, Brown and Light Blue (L-BU)
Coil 8 has Pink, Black, Brown and Purple (PU)

Coil 1 has Pink, Black, Brown and Purple
Coil 3 has Pink, Black, Brown and Light Blue
Coil 5 has Pink, Black, Brown and Dark Green
Coil 7 has Pink, Black, Brown and Orange

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My manual shows wire PK (Pink) as Ignition 1 Relay, BN (Brown) as Low Reference, and OG (Orange) as ECM Ignition Control and BK (Black) as Ground.

Coil 2 has Pink, Black, Brown and Orange (OG)
Coil 4 has Pink, Black, Brown and Dark Green (D-GN)
Coil 6 has Pink, Black, Brown and Light Blue (L-BU)
Coil 8 has Pink, Black, Brown and Purple (PU)

Coil 1 has Pink, Black, Brown and Purple
Coil 3 has Pink, Black, Brown and Light Blue
Coil 5 has Pink, Black, Brown and Dark Green
Coil 7 has Pink, Black, Brown and Orange

So, would he put a DVOM on black and orange and test for a pulsing 12V?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, would he put a DVOM on black and orange and test for a pulsing 12V?

Sounds right. When we looked at it the other day, I could not find the menu to test the injectors but did find it on mine a few days later. So when we meet up again we can run a test via the Tech-2, as long as his computer programming supports it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've seen some chewed up cam and lifters causing misfires at idle ONLY with no noise. Once you've verified you have spark and fuel, mechanical is all that's left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900