Change engine oil light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02GMCyukon

Reaction score
My message center started displaying "change engine oil" about 2600 miles into my last oil change.

So, I changed the oil, and went ahead and did a full tuneup. Plugs, wires, both belts, shocks front and rear. Also installed a spectre CAI.

Now, when I start the truck it displays the "change engine oil" light every time I start the truck for about 15 seconds.

Still new to these vehicles any help would be appreciated.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignition on, hit the gas pedal quickly 5 times.

Or using the DIC buttons on the steering wheel, scroll to the oil monitor and hold down the lower right button on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds until the message clears.

OP
OP

02GMCyukon

Reaction score
OmarR said:
Ignition on, hit the gas pedal quickly 5 times.

Or using the DIC buttons on the steering wheel, scroll to the oil monitor and hold down the lower right button on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds until the message clears.

Don't have controls on my steering wheel.
I turned the key on, pressed the gas 5 times quickly as you said.
Now when I crank the vehicle the "change engine oil" light flashes 6 times.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
The property procedure for testing the oil life monitor is turning the key to the acc on position followed by pressing and depressing the gas peddle 3 times. After the 3rd time press the peddle and hold it down until the oil life resets. It works every time on all newer GM vehicles when you do it right.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The property procedure for testing the oil life monitor is turning the key to the acc on position followed by pressing and depressing the gas peddle 3 times. After the 3rd time press the peddle and hold it down until the oil life resets. It works every time on all newer GM vehicles when you do it right.

Thank you for correcting my bad memory (3 times versus 5).

The owners manual does state to have the key in run, don't know if acc also works as well.

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1 on that!! Works every time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilbert two