Car wash soap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through the threads and haven't really found one that answers my question. Really I have three questions. I know I'm splitting hairs, but we all love our Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades, that's why we're here. Detailing is decent work and it takes time and we all want the best results we can get for our time and $$$. I've had a white vehicle for the last 10 years, now I have a black Tahoe (full time job :). Is there an end all be all car wash soap? I have 3 scenarios in mind: maintenance washing, pre-wax washing, and pre paint correction (stripping). I understand the 2 bucket method, grit guard, etc.

Maintenance wash: This should be something slick and sudsy and not strip wax right? Do the car wash soaps that have "wax" or other "paint conditioners" in them actually provide any real protective or gloss benefits?

Pre-wax wash: Would it be counter productive to use an above mentioned soap that has wax or other paint conditioners in it? Would this leave a slick surface or residue on my Tahoe that would keep my carnuba from bonding to the clearcoat?

Stripping: While I can think of several things I know of that can strip wax, is there a product that is best practice to use?

Thanks!

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Adam's Car Wash Shampoo

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-31-adams-car-wash-shampoo.aspx

31.jpg

They are a vendor here and we get a discount

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ i use the same with my foam gun. Works very well.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a lot of soaps. Overall for the money and performance. Best I found has been DuraGloss red.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using Duragloss 901 also, and it is a good product. Some I've used can leave films behind, and I haven't noticed this with DG901. It appears to rinse clean.
Local Carquests usually carry, or can order DG901.

As for any protection with a soap-shampoo, doubtful. That will have to come from your LSP.

I'm well aware how black shows everything, and that such a color "seems" to be the most sensitive to wash induced marring and clouding.

You may wish to consider a ceramic coating versus a wax, or even a sealant? Something like Carpro UK coating? All of Carpro's products are fantastic.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
I use Adams for all my details. I use foam gun for pre soak with adams shampo and for stripping couple onces of all purpose cleaner with car shampo to strip. Look up their forum and also have tons of videos on youtube.

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

OP, ours is pH neutral, so it won't strip any wax or sealant you have on the surface. If you want stripping action, then add a few ounces of All Purpose Cleaner for a strip wash.

It doesn't have any wax boosters or additives in it, just plain old soap. :)

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course what you do "after" a wash can induce swirling also.

Most seem to claim soft MF Towels (Waffle Weave) to be the best for drying, others still claim the best quality natural chamois do the trick.

Then others take other measures, electric leaf blowers, and the Master Blaster.

Marring-swirling never occurs as a vehicle sits, no matter how dirty. It is of course when one washes the vehicle. The least amount of rubbing, and rubbing-grinding in dirts is the goal.

A drying aid such as DG Aquawax, or others made may prove helpful-beneficial in offering some lubricity as you wipe to dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts