Can't figure it out - Tailgate not locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to see if I could get this answered here and buy the correct product and just fix it myself rather than taking her into the dealership.

Out of nowhere my tailgate on my 2015 Chevy Tahoe stopped locking itself. When I use the button in the cabin or my fob to close it it will close the gate, but it wont make the motorized process to lock itself. Thus, anyone can just walk up and open up my tailgate. So far I've unplugged my battery for 30 seconds, moved the knob in the cabin from full, to 3/4 open, to off. Still nothing.

My question is, is this a control module issue or a lock actuator issue?

I can try and get some video of it if it isn't making any sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
evoalex

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm guessing it's a lock actuator? How hard are those things to swap out? Just remove the tailgate inner lining and get at it, right?

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 5.48.43 PM.png

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re obviously out of warranty? Is bring it to the dealer, have them confirm the issue and then YouTube it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
evoalex

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I'm out of warranty, I have 6X,*** miles. I may have extended warranty, but I'm not sure if it's covered. I just have a busy week and figured I'd just fix it myself it it was a quick fix.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I'm out of warranty, I have 6X,*** miles. I may have extended warranty, but I'm not sure if it's covered. I just have a busy week and figured I'd just fix it myself it it was a quick fix.

If you have a busy week go drop that bad boy off, get a loaner and tell them to call you when it’s ready.

Ordering parts, fussing with liner clips etc? Ain’t nobody got time for that if you paid for an extended warranty baby!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a busy week go drop that bad boy off, get a loaner and tell them to call you when it’s ready.

Ordering parts, fussing with liner clips etc? Ain’t nobody got time for that if you paid for an extended warranty baby!
I agree about extended warranty but if not, pop the plastic interior piece and with a screwdriver handle give the actuator a few raps then try to move shit by hand thrn hit your lock buttons if it works spray the lock actuator and all linkages, etc with white lithium grease lock/unlock a few cycles before putting everything back together. :2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo