Can you help me with OBDII code: P0430 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

animalfries

Reaction score
Yes, you can test any/all sensors with the appropriate sensor tester. I just bought a universal 4-wire O2 sensor for $20. That was my test. It worked, so I left it....

I have a scan tool that tells me volts for each sensor. Any idea what should they be reading?

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
I replaced my passenger side Cat on Tuesday and reset the code. My truck only has a total of 2 cats, passenger and drivers side after the exhaust manifold. And a total of 4 O2 sensors, before the cat and after the cat.
Seems to have fixed the problem so far, no more codes as of yet. I will update if the code comes back...

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My NBS Denali had 4 cats... I am 99.999% certain

Are you sure it didn't have 2 cats and 2 resonators?

I have a scan tool that tells me volts for each sensor. Any idea what should they be reading?

Not sure, but I just found this on Google: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm_oxygen_sensor_4.3L_5.0L_5.7L/oxygen_sensor_diagnostic_1.php

I'm sure there's plenty of info out there.

I replaced my passenger side Cat on Tuesday and reset the code. My truck only has a total of 2 cats, passenger and drivers side after the exhaust manifold. And a total of 4 O2 sensors, before the cat and after the cat.
Seems to have fixed the problem so far, no more codes as of yet. I will update if the code comes back...

I really hate to say it, but if I had to bet a dollar, I'd bet that your code will come back in a week or two (if you didn't replace the downstream o2 sensor as well). Cats rarely go bad, especially in well maintained vehicles.

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
I really hate to say it, but if I had to bet a dollar, I'd bet that your code will come back in a week or two (if you didn't replace the downstream o2 sensor as well). Cats rarely go bad, especially in well maintained vehicles.

Ive had catalytic converters go bad in 2 cars that Ive had before, it just comes with age like replacing a muffler. My technician said that if it was the O2 sensor, that it would've thrown a separate code for that.

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had catalytic converters go bad in 2 cars that Ive had before, it just comes with age like replacing a muffler. My technician said that if it was the O2 sensor, that it would've thrown a separate code for that.

My Dad was a mechanic all my life (before he died). He taught me that you always replace the cheapest suspect first (in these situations). I'd be weary of any shop that starts with the most expensive thing first. Did they offer to refund your money if they end up being wrong about the cat?........because you can replace the o2 sensor yourself, for $20. How much did the cat cost after parts and labor? I'm just sayin'.

BTW: What code did you have?

This helped me understand things a little better. Maybe it can help someone else too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
My Dad was a mechanic all my life (before he died). He taught me that you always replace the cheapest suspect first (in these situations). I'd be weary of any shop that starts with the most expensive thing first. Did they offer to refund your money if they end up being wrong about the cat?........because you can replace the o2 sensor yourself, for $20. How much did the cat cost after parts and labor? I'm just sayin'.

BTW: What code did you have?

This helped me understand things a little better. Maybe it can help someone else too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

P0430 Catalyst system below threshold bank 2

Yeah I hear what your saying, they always stand behind their work, and if there was any issue I know they will take care of me like they always do.

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0430 Catalyst system below threshold bank 2

Yeah I hear what your saying, they always stand behind their work, and if there was any issue I know they will take care of me like they always do.

Then that's all that matters. I just wanted to prepare you for the possibility of that code coming back.

Let's hope I'm wrong. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz