Can you help me with OBDII code: P0430 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a "P0430 Catalyst efficiency low Bank 2" from the truck again today.

I've already replaced the plugs and wires. I've conditioned the fuel as well (Lucas upper cylander lube - Seafoamed a while back too). The only other things it shuold be, are Catalytic converter, or a valve guide seal.

Has anybody beaten this code before? Can anyone help me understand the issue better?

Thanks in advance!

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
Just found out I have this code today also...
Is it definitely the passenger side Cat? Or could it be something else making it throw this code?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is the cat on the passenger side. After plugs wires and all, clean the MAF and throttle body as well. But I would take it to a exhaust shop and have them flow test the cats.

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A downstream O2 sensor took care of mine. Only $20 too.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was just going to say..the downstream o2 sensor is bad. All that o2 sensor does is measure the cats efficiency and flow, the o2 before the cat is used for tuning.

animalfries

Reaction score
Is there any way to test the 02 sensor and see if it's bad rather than test the cat and if it's good assume the cat is bad?

Eschrichtius

Reaction score
I have the 6.0 motor and when I went under the truck I only saw the exhaust manifolds and one cat on each side after the manifolds, but Ive seen some people on other threads saying they had four cats? Am I missing something here? I passed SMOG last year when I bought it so I couldnt be missing any cats...

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only have two cats, one for each side of the engine. There is really no need for four.

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to test the 02 sensor and see if it's bad rather than test the cat and if it's good assume the cat is bad?

Yes, you can test any/all sensors with the appropriate sensor tester. I just bought a universal 4-wire O2 sensor for $20. That was my test. It worked, so I left it. Problem solved at the cheapest possible price, in the shortest amount of time (To be fair, I also bought and used a bottle of Cataclean....just to be safe).

I have the 6.0 motor and when I went under the truck I only saw the exhaust manifolds and one cat on each side after the manifolds, but Ive seen some people on other threads saying they had four cats? Am I missing something here? I passed SMOG last year when I bought it so I couldnt be missing any cats...

You only need one cat for each exhaust manifold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission