Camber Issues with Belltech Torsion Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with Belltech (or any other brand) torsion keys when lowered their ride? I installed some a few months back to lower the front of my '02 2" and I have a slight negative camber issue that I can't figure out.

I have the torsion bolts adjusted all the way in to where I'm out of threads to adjust it anymore. It seems as if I need longer bolts to finish bringing the front up and making the tires true again, but I've never heard of anyone having to install new bolts when installing new torsion keys. I've had it aligned a few times and have been told that there is no more adjustment that can be made in other places. I assume he's talking about the camber plates...if Tahoe's have them.

I've worn out a couple of sets of tires because of this problem. Any ideas?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
are you original owner? any wrecks ever??'

all you need is the belltech kit with 2 degree camber bushings and your set.

mcnoskyimages

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you lower the front with TB's it creates negative camber and toe out. The only way I know to fix it is to get it aligned. Set the hight you want then have it aligned.

I have also found that TB's control ride quality as well. The higher you go the stiffer it will be. Lower, and your getting closer to the bump stops.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I never pinned it down to the Belltech keys being the problem but I have horrible camber issues with and I have Belltech keys

it shouldn't have to do with your torsion keys though and more to do with your control arms

what size tires are you running?
did you cut the front bump stop at all?

mcnoskyimages

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After I made my last adjustments, I had my alignment done, I knew everything was spot on. It drove strait and no more excessive tire ware. After making those small adjustments today, I can see a definite change. Im telling ya. If you are using the TB's to lower the front, set the hight you want, also depending how you want it to ride, then have it aligned. I know it's one more thing to spend $ on but it's better than going through tires.

OP
OP
Big Tap

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not the original owner and had some minor tire wear issues before, but tracked it down to a worn out idler arm. Once I fixed that, it seemed to be good to go.

Once I installed the kit, I immediately had it aligned, but noticed that the tires seemed to be leaning in just a few degrees. The guy at the alignment show told me that it was within spec, but clearly it was not. I never adjusted the bolts on there without having it algned immediately afterwards. The only reason I made some adjustments to the bolts was because the front seemed to be riding a little low and I was trying to bring it back up just a bit after the drop. It also seemed to bring the tires closer to 90 degress, and in my mind, making it easier to be aligned.

I'm running 305/40/22's on it with the bump stops cut. Sucks to be buying these tires.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I'm not the original owner and had some minor tire wear issues before, but tracked it down to a worn out idler arm. Once I fixed that, it seemed to be good to go.

Once I installed the kit, I immediately had it aligned, but noticed that the tires seemed to be leaning in just a few degrees. The guy at the alignment show told me that it was within spec, but clearly it was not. I never adjusted the bolts on there without having it algned immediately afterwards. The only reason I made some adjustments to the bolts was because the front seemed to be riding a little low and I was trying to bring it back up just a bit after the drop. It also seemed to bring the tires closer to 90 degress, and in my mind, making it easier to be aligned.

I'm running 305/40/22's on it with the bump stops cut. Sucks to be buying these tires.
if you are talking about the front ones that is a BAD idea
I learned the hard way
next time you are under the front end of your hoe looking at the control arms.. take a look at the bump stop and where its positioned..

if you cut anything off the front bump stops the control arms will move closer together causing more negative camber.. if you are as low as me with just torsion keys, even if you do cut them they will still be smashed but thats alright.. your shock should take over from there

find some stock bump stops and throw them back in and then get it realigned

you'll notice a difference in camber right after you throw in the stock bump stops the tire will come out a little bit more but it will still need to be aligned

don't wear down your tires like I did and have to ride on 2 spare tires because the front 2 blew.. its not fun!

hopefully everything gets worked out

and has anyone ever though of running a camber kit?
they are like $100 and I'm wondering it its worth the money to save your tires

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Mine has a bit of negative camber, the belltech shit is overpriced just hook a pair of the specialty alignment products 86350 they are all the same uca eccentric cam bushings

IMG_0297.jpg

My tires don't wear enough to be of any concern but for some trucks they have crazy camber issues and eat up tires prematurely, the cams above will fix that :cheers:

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
how much does something like that run Max?
and would it be something I could do or would I have to take it to a shop?