Buying a rebuilt/reman tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeorgiaTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone on here bought a rebuilt or remanufactured tranny from any of the internet sites like TransDepot or PATC? Just wondering if its worth it or just pay a shop to build it.

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
If I got a Rebuilt one, it would be from a local parts store for warranty reasons. I think that I would get a local shop to rebuild mine though. That way I know who built it, and I can get them to put heavier duty parts in it. Who knows what those internet suppliers put in them.

RCB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, I agree. Any of those rebuild company's are going to have it streamlined for cost. They know what parts they can get for cheep and the failure rate is part of that equation. Plus when you go to return it you aren't dealing with the guy that built it.

Most Trans shops want a zero percent failure rate so they are going to use better parts and as mentioned will also build it to your liking. I.E. corvette valve body, higher stall converter, etc.

I just replaced one in a lifted 03' Tahoe and the shop that built it was top notch.

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I have checked around some local shops and it looks like the going rate around here is between $2,000 and $2,400 for a complete rebuild. It seems a little steep for just a standard rebuild.

RCB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is a little steep if your dropping the Trans off to them. I have paid anywhere from $900-1500. $900 was with me doing the removal / install and buying the fluid.

If they are doing the R&R, providing a quality Dex Trans/ T-case fluid, exhaust gaskets, etc. then that price is not all that bad. They should also give you a new T.C.
Some of the upgrades shouldn't add to the price of parts and should almost never add to labor cost.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a reman from gm dealer. $1500 with tax (w/ return of old trans) 3yr./60k

Worth checking out IMO.

Or are you going for a stronger then stock 4L60?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labman2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into the same thing on an older camaro that I have and have found that it would be much better to have a local guy do the work. The Camaro has a 4l60e in it and he is only charging me $650 to rebuild mine.

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RCB- The price was with the shop doing the r&r.
Electro- I will check with the local dealer. I don't really need anything heavily modded as I am all stock. If I were to mod, I would buy another Tahoe so I can keep a dd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667