Buy 2011 Tahoe or wait for 2012 redesign?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where usually I would agree with you on the used at a lower price is better. I just blew up the engine in my '99 Yukon that I bought used in 2001 with about 40K on it. Over the years I have put close to $10K into it, fixing this or that.. And now it sits dead at 110,000 miles..

Fast forward to today. The 2011 models are out now, so the lots are usually trying to blow out the 2010's, and on top of that GM is offering 0% Interest for upto 72 months or $3000.00 cash back on the 2010 models.

My feeling on this one is yeah I pay a little more, but all the millage on it is mine, so I know what has been done to the rig. My warrentee lasts quite a bit longer, so any issues that might arise will be covered, and I might be different then many of you, where i don't see myself putting over 7 or 8,000 miles on it a year, and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

All the rigs i looked at in my neck of the woods had over 50k miles and were priced around $30k.. Plus I noticed many of them were Rentals for the first year or so of their life. That's really not all that good of deal i don't think..

Anyhoo, I have my new 2010 LTZ loaded and I am very happy..

thanks
Mike

Certified preowned with 5000 miles, buying an extended GM warranty ends up being a better value (and the warranty actually lasts longer)

OP
OP
F

filla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, guys!

I've always felt that used Tahoes are overpriced. If I pay a few thousand more, I can get a new one. Plus, when I buy a new vehicle, I'm pretty much in it for the long haul. I don't plan on selling or trading anytime soon. I bought my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee new and I still have it and it's still going strong.

The_Irish_Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I've always felt that used Tahoes are overpriced. If I pay a few thousand more, I can get a new one. Plus, when I buy a new vehicle, I'm pretty much in it for the long haul. I don't plan on selling or trading anytime soon. I bought my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee new and I still have it and it's still going strong.

Amen Brother..

Mike

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm with you on this. I always buy new. I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ that I ordered the way I wanted it. I got $5600 off MSRP PLUS $2000 in rebates. It was a better deal then late model low mileage used ones I saw when you consider the warranty and it will be worth more when I sell or trade down the road. I also like having a vehicle that I know how it was treated and cared for from day 1.

I also had a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new. Finally got rid of it in 2004. That was the worst vehicle I ever owned. Nothing but constant repairs. Your lucky yours is still going strong after 14 years.

OP
OP
F

filla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I always buy new. I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ that I ordered the way I wanted it. I got $5600 off MSRP PLUS $2000 in rebates. It was a better deal then late model low mileage used ones I saw when you consider the warranty and it will be worth more when I sell or trade down the road. I also like having a vehicle that I know how it was treated and cared for from day 1.

I also had a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new. Finally got rid of it in 2004. That was the worst vehicle I ever owned. Nothing but constant repairs. Your lucky yours is still going strong after 14 years.

So far, the best deal a dealer has offered me for a 2011 Tahoe LS is $34,000. A couple of other dealers are claiming that they'll be anyone's offer, so I'll see if I can get the price lower.

The Jeep hasn't been problem-free. I had to replace the crankshaft position sensor, which caused the Jeep to not start or die while on the road (apparently a common problem). The interior door panel material has also started to peel off.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
. . . when I buy a new vehicle, I'm pretty much in it for the long haul. I don't plan on selling or trading anytime soon. I bought my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee new and I still have it and it's still going strong.

I fit into the "buy it new and drive it until it's dead" category. I enjoy my 2010 Tahoe that I ordered and purchased earlier this year, but I've still got my short bed 1995 Chevrolet pickup with 177,000 miles on it and whose body style I like better than any new pickup out there. I'm not going to get rid of either of them anytime soon.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Based on the brand new USAA price that I'm getting and what dealers want for used 07+ Tahoes on cars.com, ebaymotors, autotrader, etc., it doesn't make too much sense to buy used.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a used 2010 LT or LTZ over a 'new' LS...

same price... these things drop like a stock...
also check out the new Ford Explorer... it's neat!

Look for a tahoe w/the sat-nav...

LT bumps you up to automatic climate (digital) screens...

idk what you're talking about, price some used ones out lol

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

I got my Denali for almost 30% off of MSRP before ttl and it only had 5000miles and was 8 months old

you're saying you bought a denali for $41k with 5k miles on it? where can sign up for that i'll take 20 and open up a car lot.. got offered $47k on a trade in last week on my '10 with 6500 miles on it. so imagine what they will mark it up if they give me $47k? $50-$51k would be my guess.. used under a year old will be about 6k off sticker before haggling ($54k) haggle=$51-$52k..

here's regular suggested retail, not even certified preowned (which is even higher) on a 2010 denali with 17,500miles on it http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/gmc/yu...true&condition=excellent&mileage=17500#survey

http://usedcars.kbb.com/detail/cars...3ZhbHVlPTQ2MTUw&v_user=a2JidWNp&kbb_zip=08721

http://usedcars.kbb.com/detail/cars...3ZhbHVlPTQ2MTUw&v_user=a2JidWNp&kbb_zip=08721

don't even think about touching a '10 around here under 20k miles for under $50k+

Last edited:

rjpeaks

Reaction score
^^my friend hooked up my other friend and bought Roger Penske Jr's personal Denali XL (is that how you describe that...;)

$2 or 3K miles.

i think it ended up ~$60 something K. Every available option plus custom wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro