Budget rebuild items?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly this is a horrible take. we should encourage guys to dig deeper into engines. not tell people they can't do it. this is literally the days of easy info and places like this to ask questions.

I am curious to hear what you think is so mind blowingly difficult about an ls engines that only a pro can touch one? read a little bit, watch some videos and it's fine. 16 year old kids are throwing these things together in their friends driveways, half in the dirt to go drifting. its about as easy as an engine gets.

there's guys that post here that end up rebuilding the entire top end of the engine over a sruck lifter in a parking garage of their apartment, up north in the winter. give people some credit.

I see this all the time.. mechanics think to highly of themselves when talking to others. you knew nothing at one time either. I know nothing about anything I've not researched yet either.. my fleet has almost gone completely electric. I knew nothing about it besides racing rc cars as a kid. picture tons of old guys refusing to work on them, to now 2 years later they are all experts and no one else knows anything.

it's ridiculous. but that's the mind set of gate keeping.
Oh, I’m all about guys that have time, resources, internet and can find YouTube. It’s the part about “budget rebuild” that makes me a bit nervous. Everyone will probably agree, first timers will break the budget before the first 2000 rpms.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I’m all about guys that have time, resources, internet and can find YouTube. It’s the part about “budget rebuild” that makes me a bit nervous. Everyone will probably agree, first timers will break the budget before the first 2000 rpms.
I'll replace what needs to be replaced, but this isn't a race car engine budget. There's a bare-minimum that needs to be done, and then there's stuff that's just icing on the cake.

Again, I'm thinking refresh more than kill-mode blueprint psycho build.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically the hardest part right now is getting the thing into my basement. There is no driveway to the double-doors, and the back yard is a little soft. Neighbor has a tractor with forklift blades, so he said he'd help get it as far past the threshhold as possible, but it may be close, and I just hope there's enough reach to get to the engine stand on the concrete basement floor.

my first engine I build as a kid was a 350 to replace my 305. build it in a little porch at the house and had to get it across the grass to the back yard where car was. we ended up using 2 pieces of ply wood rolling it from one to the other across the yard. took forever but dumb kids haha but we got it

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ding, ding, ding! You picked door #3. Winner, plus an instant friends and family benefit of local low pricing and a courtesy transportation vehicle. Have an IPA and turn on the time lapse camera for 2-4 pics every day in the basement.

LFA 09-10 All Alum AFM
LZ1 11-13 All Alum AFM e85

**+LFA 07-10 Iron/Alum No AFM***

L96 10-17 Iron/Alum e85 No AFM

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of sensors/connectors that I can compare between the 6.0 LY6 vs. the 5.3 LMG in my Yukon to start making a list of what to remember to connect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts