Budget LM7 Expected HP gains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree: 4.10 and 4.11 should be the same.

I don't think the Stage 3 cam would be a good fit for your stock gears. That's more like guys using a dedicated vehicle at the drag strip doing pases at WOT. Cams will shift the power band higher in the RPM range: higher HP at higher RPM but they tend to give up on the lower RPM range. And you definitely will need a tune for that. A high stall speed converter I'm pretty sure is also required.

Look for Stage 1 and Stage 2 cam options. They have "drop-in" options and some need valve spring upgrades. I've seen some advertised as no tune required and other say you only need a slight tune adjustment at idle.

Edit: what is your budget BTW?

thrillride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
Im building my yukon on a budget, It already has a BTR stage 3 truck cam and a cold air intake. Im looking at adding a tbss intake with 36lb injectors, ported 862 heads, and will be installing shorty headers. I know people hate shorty headers, but they were cheap, lighter, look cooler, and do add around 8 HP.. Any estimates on expected HP at the flywheel with this combo?
I Built my 01 LM7 more than 2 years ago. I didn't pretty much what you are doing but with some differences. I wanted horsepower, performance and driveability. I have learned a lot in the past couple years and I have done this all my life. Anyway with my present combination and I rebuilt my 4l60 transmission and I have 373 gears I'm a little more than 400 hp . If this engine was in something much lighter I think the numbers will be higher

thrillride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree: 4.10 and 4.11 should be the same.

I don't think the Stage 3 cam would be a good fit for your stock gears. That's more like guys using a dedicated vehicle at the drag strip doing pases at WOT. Cams will shift the power band higher in the RPM range: higher HP at higher RPM but they tend to give up on the lower RPM range. And you definitely will need a tune for that. A high stall speed converter I'm pretty sure is also required.

Look for Stage 1 and Stage 2 cam options. They have "drop-in" options and some need valve spring upgrades. I've seen some advertised as no tune required and other say you only need a slight tune adjustment at idle.

Edit: what is your budget BTW?
I went with stage 2 BTR cam. It also helps the budget.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Built my 01 LM7 more than 2 years ago. I didn't pretty much what you are doing but with some differences. I wanted horsepower, performance and driveability. I have learned a lot in the past couple years and I have done this all my life. Anyway with my present combination and I rebuilt my 4l60 transmission and I have 373 gears I'm a little more than 400 hp . If this engine was in something much lighter I think the numbers will be higher
Weight would have zero effect on horsepower made by the engine.
I live in south west Ohio and I have never had my computer tuned even when I upgraded my injectors.
So you are running an aftermarket cam and injectors with the factory tune? While I don't deny it would "run" there is no way you are making anywhere near the power you could be with a proper tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660