Broken Intake Valve from Valve Float 6.2L L92?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I couldn't see any oil pumping up to the top of the head... maybe I'm just getting old.

Are you loosing any coolant?

Did you try applying air to cylinder 8 via the compression tester as was recommended?

Have you allowed it to run for any length of time to get up to operating temperature?

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
Now hat you mention it no i didnt see oil going to the top of the head. i havent noticed any leaking coolant so i havent checked to see if im low. i havent done the air leakdown test as i dont have access to an air compressor. The truck hasnt been up to operating temps since the problem started in fear of making matters worse.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Now hat you mention it no i didnt see oil going to the top of the head. i havent noticed any leaking coolant so i havent checked to see if im low. i havent done the air leakdown test as i dont have access to an air compressor. The truck hasnt been up to operating temps since the problem started in fear of making matters worse.

If it is a head gasket, the coolant could be leaking internally. Sometimes the coolant makes its way into the oil. Sometimes it just goes into the cylinder and is burned off producing steam out of the exhaust.

Have you checked the oil to see if it looks milky?

A lot of times things won't leak until the metal expands from the heat of the engine and sometimes its the other way around and things seal up from the metal expanding.

The air pressure test could reveal a bad head gasket by pushing air into the cooling system and bubbling up in the reservoir.

I am not convinced it's a head gasket based on your video of the inside of cylinder 8. Usually a coolant leak will steam clean the offending cylinder.

It could be a burnt valve also which the air test should reveal. Here air escaping through the intake = intake valve. Hear/feel air through tailpipe = exhaust valve.

Last edited:

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
Ok, so just got back from my local autozone. Is there another way i can do that leakdown test or a way i can check the valves. Autozone doesnt have a leakdown tester kit, they dont even have it in their list of loaner tools also i dont have readily available access to an air compressor, i have a tire inflater but thats about it. or should i just take the heads off. Id like to have to resort to that only if i have to since id pretty much have to take the whole top end off and i only have weekends off if im lucky. i have also never done this and i cant seem to find info on how to do this so needless to say im a little hesitant. ill do it id just rather not go into this blind

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ok, so just got back from my local autozone. Is there another way i can do that leakdown test or a way i can check the valves. Autozone doesnt have a leakdown tester kit, they dont even have it in their list of loaner tools also i dont have readily available access to an air compressor, i have a tire inflater but thats about it. or should i just take the heads off. Id like to have to resort to that only if i have to since id pretty much have to take the whole top end off and i only have weekends off if im lucky. i have also never done this and i cant seem to find info on how to do this so needless to say im a little hesitant. ill do it id just rather not go into this blind

Your compression test gauge should be able to be used to add air to that cylinder. Hopefully it looks something like this...

rps20180701_162704_665.jpg

You can use a small tire inflator but a portable air tank would be better because it won't make noise like a small compressor will so it would be easier to hear air escaping through the intake or exhaust.

You could also get a pressure tester for the cooling system and pull the spark plug on cylinder 8. Apply pressure to the cooling system and see
A. If it holds a constant pressure for a period of time and
B. If you get coolant in cylinder 8.

This would probably require plugging the overflow on the reservoir in order to build pressure.

Also it may not reveal everything because, as mentioned before, somethings only show up when up to operating temperature.

Checking it with the coolant system pressure tester may not reveal a bad head gasket if it isn't bad going to the water jacket.

Also checking it that way will not tell you if you have a burnt valve, obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneloks69