Broken Door Handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madadd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem? Looks like the handle has pulled free of one of the metal pegs but I am not sure if the peg comes attached to the handle or if the peg is part of the door. Trying to avoid pulling the door panels, was hoping I could just use some epoxy or better yet a dab of 5200 and call it a day.

This is the rear door

picture.jpg

Last edited:

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the "peg" is part of the handle..... as the knurl on the "insert" on "peg" would be the "nut" of the assembly. A dab of glue couldn't hurt -or- they are relatively cheap @ gmpartsdirect (my chrome one was only $51).

Last edited:

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had 6-8 chrome ones do this. The chrome handles break quicker than the colormatched handles??

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 Tahoe I had two break and got em replaced for free via warranty. It just happened recently on my 07 avalanche and dealer said its $200 to fix since its out of warranty. $140 for labor and $60 for the chrome handle. What a rip off!!

Autbond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory LTZ chrome driver's side handle did the same thing. I took it as an opportunity to change them to black because, yes, the chrome handles break easier for some reason.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are colormatched but I'm always worried about this happening to mine due to my 5 year old insisting on yanking on that handle before I've had a chance to unlock it :banghead: It's just a matter of time that I'll have a handle replacement project on my hands.

OP
OP
Madadd

Madadd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had 6-8 chrome ones do this. The chrome handles break quicker than the colormatched handles??

Wow you must be a professional at replacing these at this point lol.

Kinda odd that the chrome ones do this so often. It sounds to me like GM needs to find a new chrome door handle supplier. I wonder if the aftermarket ones have the same issues.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna try a dab of 5200 Polyurethane and hopefully never have to worry about it again.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you must be a professional at replacing these at this point lol.

Kinda odd that the chrome ones do this so often. It sounds to me like GM needs to find a new chrome door handle supplier. I wonder if the aftermarket ones have the same issues.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna try a dab of 5200 Polyurethane and hopefully never have to worry about it again.

LOL! Yeah I've just about got the hang of it haha!:D