Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpw0589

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought this 99 tahoe 4x4 5.7 6lug 4 door and I need brakes. I do not know any specific specs on this truck. How do I determine what brakes to get? There is 10 and 11 inch. Riveted and solid. I just need to know how to determine the correct brakes for my truck. I want to do the rear disc conversion also. But for now I just need diresct replacement.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The discard diameter will be stamped on the outside of the drum. A 10” drum will say Maximum ten-point-something inches and the 11” will be similar.

Or check the RPO label in the glovebox. Code JB5 is 10”, JB6 is 11”.

11” drums tend to be better at keeping their adjustment but they’re not interchangeable. They adjust by braking when reversing. JB5’s adjust when the parking brake is used.

On bonded vs riveted, I’ve always run riveted based on old stories of bonded shoes separating from their backing. Who knows whether that’s still true today.

OP
OP
T

tpw0589

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The discard diameter will be stamped on the outside of the drum. A 10” drum will say Maximum ten-point-something inches and the 11” will be similar.

11” drums tend to be better at keeping their adjustment but they’re not interchangeable. They adjust by braking when reversing. JB5’s adjust when the parking brake is used.

On bonded vs riveted, I’ve always run riveted based on old stories of bonded shoes separating from their backing. Who knows whether that’s still true today.
Thank you for the information. I will have to take a look into that.

OP
OP
T

tpw0589

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20240308_042556.jpg
    20240308_042556.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, brakes are the most important system on any vehicle and very important for safety. If you do not have the mechanical ability or the tools for the work, please have a professional do the work or a qualified helper watch over the work, with you.

OP
OP
T

tpw0589

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO, brakes are the most important system on any vehicle and very important for safety. If you do not have the mechanical ability or the tools for the work, please have a professional do the work or a qualified helper watch over the work, with you.
Who says I don't? You? Who are you to think one doesn't possess the ability to do anything or have the tools for that matter? Please mind your business if your going to give irrelevant feed back as I did not ask for that.

Thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I asked because you asked a very simple easy to find the answer to question. Also, as I said, brakes are the most important and safety is first. If you have trouble doing the very easy look up, that tells me the experience is lacking. Plus, I said IF! If the shoe fits....... IMO, any member that is UNSURE about anything brakes related, should get help for safety sake. I also explained that.

Nothing was meant by it and you should take it as such. If you can't, well then too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar