Brake Pedal Pulsing And Wheel Pulling Occasionally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaeden

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Hope everyone is having a good day!

I just have a quick question. Ever since I got the hoe, occasionally when I'd be coming to a stop slowly (and by slowly I mean no hard braking, just a regular stop, at a red light or stop sign for example) by the time I reach about 5mph or less, the brake pedal would pulse and the wheel would almost jerk to the right.

It's not very violent and it's not all the time, which is why it's taken me a year + of ownership to finally look into it a little. But I'm finally getting everything that was wrong with this thing fixed, and this is becoming something that is slowly annoying me more and more everyday. It's funny cause I'm so used to it that I'll get into other people's cars and anticipate theirs doing the same thing.

Any suggestions on what it could be? I've heard people caliper. I just wasn't sure. I know the calipers on it aren't OEM as they're red (don't make fun of me, they were like this when I got it). I also don't really think it's ABS related because I've replaced both front hubs about a million times (lots of 4x4 problems) and the ABS light never, ever comes on.

Thanks guys!

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like brake rotors are warped or worn unevenly. You can have them machined if they are still thick enough to remove the amount of metal necessary to true them up, or you can replace them. You say the calipers are OEM (are you sure they didn't just paint them?), but you didn't mention the rotors. Personally, I prefer to just replace them since AC Delco rotors are not all that expensive.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any ABS or traction control lights? If not check rotors pads and calipers first. Sounds like one of the front calipers may be stuck.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Reaction score
Sounds like brake rotors are warped or worn unevenly. You can have them machined if they are still thick enough to remove the amount of metal necessary to true them up, or you can replace them. You say the calipers are OEM (are you sure they didn't just paint them?), but you didn't mention the rotors. Personally, I prefer to just replace them since AC Delco rotors are not all that expensive.

I know they're not just painted. I'm pretty sure they're Perfect Stop's "Performance" calipers. Found them on amazon and they look just like the ones that are on the vehicle.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Reaction score
Any ABS or traction control lights? If not check rotors pads and calipers first. Sounds like one of the front calipers may be stuck.

Neither. The only time I've ever had an ABS light on is when one of the hubs was bad. But as I said before, I've replaced both of them about a million times.

As far as checking rotors, if it had something to do with the rotors, wouldn't it be doing it all the time? If I have the windows down and no music playing, when the pedal starts to pulse you can hear it on the outside of the vehicle. The sound is similar to something grinding, however I'm almost positive it's not actually a grinding noise.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither. The only time I've ever had an ABS light on is when one of the hubs was bad. But as I said before, I've replaced both of them about a million times.

As far as checking rotors, if it had something to do with the rotors, wouldn't it be doing it all the time? If I have the windows down and no music playing, when the pedal starts to pulse you can hear it on the outside of the vehicle. The sound is similar to something grinding, however I'm almost positive it's not actually a grinding noise.
My wife's Lexus needs the front rotors done (they are either warped or worn), but they are more noticeable some times than others. Depends on how much pressure you are applying. On hers, it's less noticeable if you are stopping hard than when you are slowing down more gently. You can check for unevenly worn rotors by measuring several places on the rotor with calipers to see if some areas are thicker than others. Warped rotors will have some places that spin more freely than others when you turn them by hand.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS is usually a pulsing sound almost like an impact wrench and you feel it in the pedal. If the rotor is warped enough you’d here it a lot otherwise just when it spins past the pads. Easy job to check the calipers to make sure a piston isn’t stuck. On either side.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotors warped. As to the pulling- Unless you can replicate the condition by going over uneven spots, I would attribute that to a brake imbalance. I would take the rotors off for turning/replacing and inspect the caliper slides, suspension parts and look for corrosion under the dust boot of the caliper piston.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar thing. Its in the shop now having a small list worked on.
Allot of us seem to get that from a wheel speed sensor too.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on the sensor. Check for loose or disconnect wires. Easy to accidentally unplug doing a brake job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia