Brake Controller Enable 2009 Yukon...or do I really have one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 Yukon has +/- buttons for the trailer brake controller on the shift selector. Tow/haul mode button is on the end.
Nothing happens when towing a trailer equipped with electric brakes. Nothing is displayed like "trailer connected" or gain level.

Is the selector on the column there even with models not equipped with an integrated trailer brake controller? Or is there a lead or fuse that needs to be connected to enable the trailer brake function.

Last edited:

SethSwitch

Reaction score
the +/- is for selecting the maximum gear in the manual mode. You have the 6 speed so it also lets you start in second if your on slick ground. Some of these trucks are prewired where you only have to put on a controller and run a wire on the fuse box. Some also came factory equipped with an acdelco unit that is integrated in the place infant of the drivers knees.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the +/- is for selecting the maximum gear in the manual mode. You have the 6 speed so it also lets you start in second if your on slick ground. Some of these trucks are prewired where you only have to put on a controller and run a wire on the fuse box. Some also came factory equipped with an acdelco unit that is integrated in the place infant of the drivers knees.
X2

OP
OP
SnowFish

SnowFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll install an aftermarket brake controller.
Update, got it in. Took a bit to find the stub wires under the dash, but it's in.
Two wires to connect under the hood. One for the brake power. The other for the charging circuit. Both hidden in plain sight.
Thanks for the polite responses in tolerating my newness. Cheers.

Last edited: