Book time for camshaft install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Book time as in a dealership? Most performance shops will charge between $1000-$1500 for a cam install, including parts..

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do it yourself, make the dowls to raise your lifters.

Shouldnt take you longer than 1.5 hours..

Lol, It would take longer than that with the eng out sitting on a stand. It is 18.6 shop hrs just for the camshaft not including the springs. That is the actual number from my 2007 tahoe not some unbelievable out of thin air number like 1.5 . I was a certified tech and you have to be pretty quick to meet the flag hr. 1000-1500 would be a very close est if you supply the parts. If you have changed one before go for it, it just might take longer than you expect.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. you should see how we work then, cause its simple and fast..
18.6 hours is a joke.

That book also claims 8.5 hours to swap a heater core in a 99 lincoln town car. I did it in 2. with no manual and never having done it before.

Last edited:

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. you should see how we work then, cause its simple and fast..
18.6 hours is a joke.

That book also claims 8.5 hours to swap a heater core in a 99 lincoln town car. I did it in 2. with no manual and never having done it before.

Congrats, you what a cookie? I donot care if you did it in 35 seconds. The shop still would have charged you 8.5 hrs labor b/c that is what the book states.

14 - Camshaft
12593207 $293.68

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Camshaft

Replace
warranty 14.5 hrs no warranty 18.6 hrs

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. just saying that, its fast and easy to, so OP can do it himself and save alot of money.

I completely agree, to someone like me and you it is easy. But if it was easy for everyone auto mechanics wouldn't have a job. Just saying he needs to really research it before he tears into his very nice somewhat new tahoe. Btw you quote at the bottom of your screen is awsome.

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I installed cams in my Cobalt SS. It took several hours. Because I'm not a technician for a living everything tends to take me 2-3 times longer. Thus 18.6 hours is more like 50-60 hours for me. And, to my advantage, I have a 35 gallon 180psi air compressor with a full compliment of tools and a 5 hose outlet system all in my house garage. After I've done something once I tend to be much quicker. Thanks for your input everyone. Because I don't have a whole week to handle this I'm going to sit and think about it awhile.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo