Blue Loctite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Poppa Pump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need blue Loctite when replacing my drive belt tensioner and idler pulley? This will be the third time I've changed the idler pulley I'm at 172,500 miles. I did not use it the prior two times.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont generally use any locktite on any of those. However if your having issues with the pulleys which type are you buying? You might have to hunt around but i try to stay away from any type using plastic pulleys. Alot of parts stores either only carry the plastic type or you have to ask for them to find the metal type.

OP
OP
Big Poppa Pump

Big Poppa Pump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont generally use any locktite on any of those. However if your having issues with the pulleys which type are you buying? You might have to hunt around but i try to stay away from any type using plastic pulleys. Alot of parts stores either only carry the plastic type or you have to ask for them to find the metal type.

Thanks. I've had the bearing on the idler pulley fail at 75k. I am installing ACDelco 38001 and tensioner 89017309. In the past I have used Blue Loctite on brake caliper/carrier bolts. I just wanted to be sure that is was not recommended for this.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recommended i wouldn't be sure of but i know your pain with failing pulleys. Had a tensioner pulley rip off the bearing at 3 am without any warning. On my 94 burban they tried to sell me one with a plastic pulley wheel on it. Thanks but no ill pay the extra and wait for you to get me the metal one lol.